Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, I am looking for a docking station for the rMBP 2017 and hopefully soon 2018 rMBP. Could you please advice? Here are the requirements:

- Need to be able to connect to a 4K TV and drive it at 60Hz
- 2 traditional USB ports (if possible 3 but not necessarily) one for logitech mice and one for the keyboard
- if possible good looking and not bulky

I have tried the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter but I don't like a big adapter hanging next to a thin laptop. Look kind of ugly. It also cannot drive 4K TV at 60Hz. I guess it is better to put the docking station near the big TV and have only one wire to connect to the rMBP 2017. Later, I may get a eGPU. Can I connect it to the rMBP via the docking station?

Any recommendation appreciated. Thanks.

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
Thanks I have a quick look. It states that it "Can power/charge Thunderbolt 3 laptops up to 60W". Doesn't the MBP 2017 use 85W?

Pretty sure it does, but it also has more than one TB port, so you can still have the charger connected.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Pretty sure it does, but it also has more than one TB port, so you can still have the charger connected.

Thanks. What do you think of the OWC one compared with the TS3 Plus? The former seems to be a perfect solution for on-the-go use while the latter seems to be good for home/office use where one has to connect many devices and without the need of an extra charging cable to charge the computer.

mroy16

macrumors regular
May 28, 2017
FYI, a number of people (myself included) have had issues with the OWC TB3 dock failing, and OWC's customer service was ultimately slow and unhelpful. I would look at other docks. There are numerous threads already discussing the pros and cons of various brands.

Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks for the warning. I probably go for the TS3 Plus for home use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.