Which hypothetical party would you vote for?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eMac4ever, Mar 22, 2010.

?

Which party would you vote for?

1. Economically Conservative, Socially Liberal

39 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Economically Liberal, Socially Conservative

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. eMac4ever macrumors regular

eMac4ever

In most of the world's industrialized countries, those with conservative social views are more likely to have conservative economic views and likewise with the liberals.

I was thinking about What's The Matter With Kansas the other day, when it occurred to me that this could change, at least in the United States.

Let's say that the rural poor begin to vote in their own, direct economic self-interest and against the Republicans. In order to accomplish this, the Democrats would have to move pretty far to the right on social issues. I would think that liberals would find this pretty abominable and would possibly join the ranks of a less-extreme Libertarian Party. I am not sure this whole thing is too likely; I'm just kind of speculating here.

So, the question is, who would you vote for, given this chance: a socially conservative, economically liberal party or an economically conservative, but socially liberal party.

As more of a liberal, I don't know. I value both social and economic issues so much, but if I had to vote for one, I suppose I would vote for whoever was more liberal on social issues, given my more moderate economic stances.

2. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

Fiscal conservative, social liberal. I just can't stand social conservatism. Oh wait...

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Many people I know are fiscal conservatives and social liberals. Then again, what one country considers liberal or conservative, another would not.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Given your choices, I would choose economically conservative and socially liberal. I think our country is in such a fiscal mess that it takes precedence over social issues right now.

5. eMac4ever thread starter macrumors regular

eMac4ever

I am not criticizing your opinion, but would you just not vote then?

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I was assuming they were just parties, not the only option. If they are the only option than I would reluctantly vote for conservative economy and liberal social agendas.

7. stevegmu macrumors regular

The two are incompatible, as social liberalism leads to fiscal irresponsibility.

8. eMac4ever thread starter macrumors regular

eMac4ever

Would you mind explaining further?

9. stevegmu macrumors regular

Sure. Look at California- a socially liberal state with tremendous budget problems.

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Or look at Norway to pick just one.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

An economically conservative, socially liberal political platform would advocate social freedoms (gay marriage, legal marijuana, abortion rights) while trying to reduce spending and try to balance the budget. The trouble here would be reconciling this budgeting with a social liberalist impulse for social justice: welfare programs, healthcare etc.

A socially conservative, economically liberal is a decent description of the George W. Bush administration. Though 'economically reckless' is perhaps a better term. ;)

12. eMac4ever thread starter macrumors regular

eMac4ever

I do not think that the budget crisis is a result of their social liberalism, though. I am more likely to think that the root cause of social and economic liberalism is the same, rather than that social liberalism causes economic liberalism (or, as you style it, fiscal irresponsibility)

13. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

One can be fiscally conservative and socially liberal, if "liberal" is taken at it's true meaning and not the one both Republicans and Democrats in this country use. Someone truly "liberal" doesn't really care what other people do so long as it doesn't negatively impact others/society at large. But instead, we have a bunch of activists who are constantly screaming and sticking their noses in everyone else's business.

No matter what the issue, you are not "liberal" if you are trying to force your views on social issues on someone else.

14. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

One can be fiscally conservative and socially liberal, if "conservative" is taken at its true meaning and not the one both Republicans and Democrats in this country use. Someone truly "conservative" believes that government's spending must stay within its means and not tax the people beyond theirs; instead we have a bunch of reactionaries trying to get rid of all taxes and federal spending, effectively stripping the government of all functions except the police function of protecting the property interests of the wealthy.

I would agree with that.

And you are not "conservative" if you are trying to eliminate all social services regardless of how well-funded or fiscally well-managed.

15. stevegmu macrumors regular

Some of the most well-funded and managed social services are run by Conservatives through churches.
    I believe the average Conservative feels we should help each other, rather that rely on the government to help us.

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

We've got two definitions of liberalism floating here. 'Classical liberalism' (small government, free market, personal freedoms) was a foundational political philosophy of early America. More recently we have developed 'modern liberalism' or 'social liberalism', which advocates the inclusion of social welfare in a society of liberty and equality.

In common discussion of U.S. politics 'liberalism' is interchangeable with 'modern liberalism'.

17. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

Are you sure? "If you legalize drugs you are contributing to the debt! But the Iraq and Afghanistan wars don't count...."

Correlation =/= Causation

Sure California is in a budget crisis, but that's what happens when your state is run by someone like Schwarzenegger.... Look at Reagan and the first Bush. They pretty much quadrupled our debt. Therefore social conservatism leads to fiscal irresponsibility. Right?

No. Fiscal irresponsibility is not a right-wing or a left-wing idea.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Neither. I'm a social and economic liberal. I believe in balanced budgets, but I think deregulation is totally irresponsible. So I guess I don't fit into either category.

Glad to see you mention "What's the Matter with Kansas," though. A great book, and one that I've recommended here several times, especially for anyone who wonders how the hell Americans can so frequently vote against their own interests.

Let's not forget those problems began and became horrendous via stuff like electric rate deregulation...a classic conservative position.

19. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

socially liberal, economically conservative = Libertarian

socially moderate, economically liberal = Democrat
    socially conservative, economically liberal = Republican

Neither major party is economically conservative in my opinion. That is why our economy is in so much trouble.

And the Democratic party is nowhere near socially liberal enough for me to respect them even on that point.

20. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Thinking gays should have the right to marry and that the government shouldn't meddle in its citizens' private business leads directly to fiscal irresponsibility? I guess you learn something new everyday. Thanks stevegmu!

21. Queso macrumors G4

Social liberalism, as I understand it, is more akin to what Americans call libertarianism, namely that adults should be trusted to choose their own paths through life. Just goes to show how the definition of terms differ between countries.

22. djellison macrumors 68020

That's me, generally speaking.

23. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

interesting. to me would be the same choice for exactly opposite rerasons.

human rights, social justice, intellectual honesty should always be the #1 priorities.
    than you try to make the economy work within that frame.

24. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I'm a registered Libertarian and vote that way whenever I can so I would be eco con and soc lib.