Which iMac 24" to choose - 2.66GHz, 2.93GHz, or 3.06GHz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dash Eleven, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Dash Eleven macrumors newbie

Hey guys - long-time Windows user, soon-to-be first time Mac owner here.

Quick history: my current pc is an hp dv6000t series laptop I got 3 years ago (gift from folks for college). I've been looking to upgrade for a while, now that I've finished school, and because of limited desk space, have been looking at all-in-one-type desktops. I've never owned a Mac, but have used them and seen enough to know that I think they'll fit what I'm looking for:

• I'm not much of a PC gamer anymore
    • Most of my time is multitasking: watching videos (HD and non-HD formats), streaming videos (Hulu, youtube, netflix) editing in Photoshop CS3 (not professionally) surfing, e-mail, iTunes/music, music editing, eventually light video editing, etc.

I'm really interested in the 24" iMac series, but keep going back and forth on which model I should get. Budget isn't an issue, but I also don't want to spend more than I really need to. Any input/thoughts would be appreciated

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I think that either the 2.66GHz model or the 2.93GHz model would be best. I don't think that you would see any significant benefit in going to the 3.06GHz model. Someone else can chime in and tell you whether or not the 9400M will suffice for your needs; I think that it will, but I haven't used the 2.66Ghz model and don't know how well it handles the 1920x1200 resolution, especially in Photoshop. If the 9400M is fine, then the 2.66GHz model would be my pick, since I think that RAM will have a greater impact on performance for you and both the 2.66GHz model and the 2.93GHz model both come with identical RAM configurations.

3. xxmendozaxx macrumors newbie

2.93 Ghz, but i think you should buy 8 gigs of ram if your gonna do that at the same time. Or at least daily because the more ram you add the smoother everything runs. It's not gonna increase the speed. But i'll just work like thats the only program working, while your got like 10 programs working at the same time. Specially if you Photoshop,Surf with SAFARI, and listen to music, video editing.:apple:

4. Dash Eleven thread starter macrumors newbie

Bad wording on my part - I usually do 3, maybe 4 things at once , not everything I listed (ex. Photoshop, listening to music, while email and internet browser is open/running)

5. farmermac macrumors 6502a

i got a 24" 2.66. I was pretty much in your shoes about the switch too, and what I do with my computer.

I couldnt justify the price different for the small increase in mhz. I figured i'd never be able to tell if they were side by side. I wouldnt recomend spending a grand to upgrade to 8gb of ram. Unless you're using your mac for seriously hardcore tasks, its a humongous waste of money.

The only thing I regret is not buying a iMac sooner. Upgrade to 1tb and buy applecare!

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I won't recommend the 2.66 24" simply because 9400 doesn't handle the 1920x1200 very well. Things really get choppy with multiple windows open, like when switching between spaces, expose, stacks, etc.

Its really strange that Apple released a 24" model with integrated graphics.