Which imac for Photoshop CS3 & Lightroom

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bramley, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Bramley macrumors newbie

I am looking to buy a 27" imac but am not sure which model to go for.
    Either a faster processor or more RAM?
    (1) i5 2.66ghz upgrading the RAM to 8gb
    (2) i7 2.8ghz and leave RAM @ 4gb
    which model would run PSCS3 & Lightroom the fastest?
    Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would get the 2.8GHz quad because of benchmarks [​IMG]

You can get the extra 4GB of RAM for less than 100$ from 3rd party seller e.g. Crucial or OWC

3. ciscospice macrumors newbie

Bramley - I just ordered the 27" Quad Core to use primarily with those same apps.

The only option I would have preferred would have been if I could have gotten a 21.5" with a Quad Core and then a second pro monitor (I was looking at a Lacie from B&H). But the Quad Core isn't an option on the 21.5" (yet) and on my second look at Best Buy, the 27" is really nice. I ordered it with 4MB from apple and then ordered two additional 2MB simms from an aftermarket site. Saved about $85.

Hellhammer - Love the graphic. The anticipation of getting this baby on my desk is killing me. I've had at least two dreams about this computer!

4. thelongmorrow macrumors member

Did they ever fix the compatibility issue of Snow Leopard with CS3 products?

I am still waiting to upgrade...

5. o2xygen macrumors regular

Yeah, I took the plunge a month ago and CS3 works perfectly, I use PS, FL, ID, DW.

6. davemanroe macrumors member

I'm sure both models will be more than capable of running CS3. I'm running CS4 on a mid-2007 iMac with 4gb of RAM (and Snow Leopard) with no problems. But if money was no object, I'd get the i7 to be as future proof as possible, and it eats up the benchmarks!

**Edited to take into account comment below**

I use CS4 to edit and manipulate RAW images from my DSLR, and for a bit of web development. In these respects, it runs well!

Cheers

DR

7. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

I run Master Suite CS4 on my Mini, and it runs fine. Even Premier Pro runs well.

8. notstevelam macrumors newbie

i think people in this thread are confusing being able to run a program vs running a program well.

can a mac mini 'run' cs4 suite? sure. but unless all you're doing is editing a small low-res photo at a time then you're bound to run into hiccups with moderate usage.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I wouldn't say perfectly...

It does work better but you may be out of luck with some plugins. (Superblade Pro, my most used plugin comes to mind...Wont work on CS3 in Snowleopard but works on every other version of photoshop in Snow Leopard.)

10. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

CS3 is still limited by a 3.3GB, so 8GB ram won't do much extra for CS3 use.
    If you can affort a i7, then go for it. Adding RAM later is easy

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Isn't CS4 too? I have 4GB in my iMac but can't set Photoshop to use more than 3GB. It's still 32-bit in OS X so that might be the cause (CS5 will be 64-bit)

12. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

My fault, i just assumed CS4 was 64-bit. I still use CS3 since i'm not producing much posters lately and CS3 suits my needs just fine so I can't really justify the upgrade cost.

I just hope CS5 is out while I'm still eligible for student discount :D