which information organizer/note-taking app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jackc, Dec 18, 2007.

1. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Maybe someone can advise me on their experience comparing some of the major information organizer/note-taking apps. I'm still searching for the ideal one, of course I've searched other sources as I'm not the only one. I used to use Mori, then switched to OmniOutliner Pro. But OmniOutliner is lacking meta-data features and is not easy to find and organize stuff after getting it in.

Basically I'm looking for a good way to take notes and write on different topics (which makes me wonder if Scrivener would work for that purpose, since it's really designed for a single project, although I really like the app), and it should include an easy and effective way to gather and organize web clippings.

I'm looking at a few more, including Journler and EagleFiler, and maybe DevonThink, possibly Yojimbo. But I'm not sure if some of them are too much of a file database as opposed to a note-taking/writing app. I like OmniOutliner for strictly note-taking as compared to the TextEdit-like windows in most other apps, but like I said it's not really a complete solution. Are there any apps that are good for outlining but also has some of the organizational features (tagging, meta-data) of some of the database-type apps? In other words, in OmniOutliner you can move blocks of text around easily as opposed to many apps where the titles are an outline but the actual text is basically a TextEdit file.

Sorry for the rambling, any help appreciated!

2. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

I guess you are looking for something more specialized, but have you considered Google Notebook?

Also I've read several reviews on NoteBook 2.1, from Circus ponies, but it is over killer for my simple needs.

Cheers :apple:

3. Slumbercub macrumors regular