Which ios is the old iphone 4s shipping with?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anonymouse99, Sep 23, 2012.

1. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

I am considering getting an iPhone 4s - it seems like a good buy for $99. Does this still come with ios5 or has it also been updated to ios6 after the latest release last week? I am trying to avoid apple map app, so just want to stick with the older ios version.

2. i5taco macrumors newbie

For some odd reason, it seems like any iPhone you buy anywhere (that isn't a cragslist/drug dealer/shady shop off 4th ave.) is always updated to the latest firmware.

3. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I ordered an iPhone 4s for my sister on iPhone 5 preorder day and it came with 5.1.1 I believe. Shipped from inside the usa and not fresh from china.

4. anonymouse99 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your info .... I'm going to call the local Apple store to see if they're selling iphone4's locally with ios5 but I suspect they're only offering the older model online. Their store lines are just busy, hopefully they'll answer here in a timely manner :)

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

My wife received one late last week & it had 5 on it.

6. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I'm pretty sure any new model you'll get will have the latest OS, at least as of the the 19th/21st. And they do in fact carry older models in stores and even at other carrier stores. The only ones they don't are unlocked models, I believe.

7. anonymouse99 thread starter macrumors regular

I called Apple Store and they said they could not guarantee ios5 but said that they likely have some because they have not received any new iphone4 shipments.

Now my question .... during activation, does it force you to update from ios5 --> ios6 ? Thanks!