Which iPhone 5 capacity should I get? (First iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LadyX, Sep 14, 2012.

?

Which capacity is right for me?

1. 32 GB

48 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. 64 GB

19 vote(s)
    28.4%
  1. LadyX, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I apologize for asking this question, I know it's been asked every time a new Apple iDevice gets released. But I'm thinking of ordering an iPhone 5 and it'll be my first iPhone. I'll be getting it in White & Silver, however, I'm having trouble on what storage capacity to go for. Should I get the 32 GB or the 64 GB? I won't be storing music or movies, as I have an iPod/iPad for that. As of apps, I have about 30 on my iPad that I want to have on the iPhone. I'm not sure if I'll be downloading more apps once I have the iPhone but I doubt it since I have a 64 GB iPad with over 100 apps in which I take everywhere with me. I hope I've mentioned enough for someone to help me decide on a capacity.

EDIT: I added a poll for those who don't feel like typing.

2. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

So according to the 2 people who voted, 32 GB is right for me :)

3. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

If you plan on keeping the phone for a year or more I would recommend getting the 64gb. The difference in price is $100 for twice the memory. Its really not that much considering what you pay yearly for the phone, plus if it is an issue, pick up an extra shift or two. Its always better to have the extra space and not use it, then realize one day you would like it and you cant change it. I used to have an ipod also until I sold it and bought the 64gb version. Now I can take all my music, pictures and videos with me at all times and now worry about running out of space.

4. hreyhrey macrumors member

dont listen to these morons with icloud you get 5gb of free storage to help out on a bunch of stuff.

That said 16gb is so so so so much more than enough its insane.

5. Blinny83 macrumors member

16 gb is the best bang for the buck in my opinion. Resale value is typically a much better ratio. The cloud and spotify helps a lot with storage needs.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

If you don't want to watch films or play games regularly, get the 16GB. 64GB seems like overkill for your case, if you want more space, get the 32GB.

7. taedouni macrumors 65816

If you don't need to use 64GB then there is no harm done. You paid an extra $100. That's probably less than or about what you pay for your wireless plan a month. That's like saving $10 a month from eating out.

If you get a 32GB iPhone then you can go up to 64GB unless you sell yours for a loss and buy a 64GB one. Just be safe and get the 64GB.

8. M87 macrumors 65816

16GB would probably be fine for you. You only really need more if you're storing or creating a lot of large files.

9. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I dont understand why people are mentioning a 16gb...the poll was for either a 32gb or 64gb. Where are any of you seeing a 16gb mentioned?

10. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

The prices are different in my country. The iPhone 4S 32GB costs $857, and $966 for a 64GB. The difference is $109 but converted to my currency that's 400 more. And I'm positive that the iPhone 5 will be more than that.

11. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

From the sounds of it 32 would be enough for you. It would be a shame to spend more for 64 if you're not gonna use it to the fullest like for music and movies.

12. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

If the extra $100 isn't an issue, and you have to ask the question, 64GB.

13. Apple TarHeel macrumors member

If you didn't have an iPad (which is better to watch movies on) and the iPhone was your only idevice I would say make the investment on larger memory, but you won't need more than 32G

14. Surrylic macrumors regular

If you don't plan on using it for music or movies then 32gb is plenty. I plan on having a little music on mine and I bought the 16gb version. You'll have no problems storing all the apps you want along with all the videos and photos you can take with that amount of storage. I honestly feel that if you fill up 32gb of space with apps then you're probably only using about 1/10th of them and could just remove some of that clutter.

15. nostresshere macrumors 68030

First off, if somebody needs to ask about memory and REALLY wants some help, they should tell us a bit more about what they will be doing. Based on no information, 16 may be just fine. Of 4 in our family, 3 of them are fine with 16. 4th one is at 20 right now and really could do find with 16.

16. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Who cares what others voting. Comes down to how much media you own. This is for you to work out, basing ur purchase on how much media others own is pointless.

The only other criteria I would use is, how much can your afford to spend? Buying the highest capacity in your budget to future proof it.

17. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

In my opinion always buy as much memory as you can afford. 64G all the way. You might not use it today, but use it you will :)

18. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

It'll be my primary smartphone, so I'll be texting (Messages/WhatsApp), I'll have my mail accounts, using Safari (though that doesn't require any memory), I'll be taking pictures/videos (not extensively) and playing games when I'm bored, not big games such as Real Racing or Infinity Blade, games like Tiny Wings, Doodle Jump, etc.

I apologize for not mentioning this earlier.

19. jayenh macrumors 6502

16GB sounds sufficient, the only unanswered question is how big is your music library and how much do you intend to put on the phone?

20. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

I'm getting the 64gb.

I have the new iPad, so I put all of my games on that, and I never really keep pictures on my phone too long, but I dont trust itunes Match with the music I listen to most, and i know I have a good 3-4 gbs of apps I like to use [facebook, tweetdeck, etc]

so yeah.. 64.

21. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

I mentioned in my earlier post that I won't be storing any music.

22. LadyX thread starter macrumors 68020

LadyX

I personally don't have a Facebook or Twitter account, so I won't be downloading any of these apps.

23. jayenh macrumors 6502

Sorry, I must have skimmed that. In that case I'd say 16GB is plenty. I know you didn't present it as an option, but 32GB is over kill for email, internet, and a few "time killer" games.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're not going to store any music or videos, I don't see why 16gb wouldn't fit your needs.

I have a 16gb iPhone 4 and its at near capacity - but that's because I have music on my phone. If you're 99% sure you'll never have music then the 16gb is a good choice. If you think you will have music at some point, then opt for the 32gb

25. Jane333 macrumors regular

I agree with the others that if you are not planning on storing music or video or many pictures on the phone, between the 32g and 64g, 32g is more than enough. I also agree with those whose said you should just get the 16gb. Why pay an extra $100 or $200 for storage you won't be using - regardless of the resale value? Use the extra money for insurance if you were not already planning on getting that.