Which iPhone for Italy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by photographypro, May 14, 2013.

1. photographypro macrumors regular

photographypro

Ok, I am an American living in Italy. I'm coming to the states in July and August. I'm on ATT, and my wife has my older ATT iPhone unlocked with an Italian SIM. Works great.

My iPhone is a locked ATT one, with a contract expiring in November. I've been carrying a cheap Italian cell and using the iPhone on WiFi.

I WAS going to buy a new iPhone 5 from ATT, and then possibly cancel the contract once I get back to Italy, although I'd like to keep my American number.

If I buy a Verizon iPhone, will the extra slot work with an Italian GSM SIM?
    Am I losing anything by doing this? And can I have BOTH an American and Italian Cell number on the same iPhone? (if I have to software switch between them I could live with that, as I get very few calls from the US).

Thanks in advance for listening!

2. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I am rather certain the Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked for international GSM usage with 3G, not sure about LTE.

And simply switching between the Italian and AT&T SIM cards would allow you to use the same phone for different numbers.

3. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

Hi I am in the same situation, but I am an Italian in the US :). unlocked or at't unlocked will work even on LTE with 3 carrier for sure... vodafone and TIM it is highly possible, but I'm not sure

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Keep in mind that here in Italy (in Europe to be correct), LTE band is different so the American model will work only in 3G/edge mode ...

5. photographypro thread starter macrumors regular

photographypro

Thanks to all for your input!

Thanks. Good to know. I just didn't want to spend over $1200 for a 64GB iPhone 5 when I can get one for $339 plus tax in the US. And even with a $329 cancellation penalty (ATT), I still come out way ahead.

----------

My wife has an unlocked ATT 4 which works here in Italy on TIM. It has 3G, but not sure about LTE on 5.

----------

Thanks. Good to know.