Carrier Which iPhone to get for frequent traveller? Verizon or T Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Needs, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Needs macrumors newbie

I am currently on T Mobile in US.
    I travel frequently and use many different SIM cards (e.g. AT&T, T Mobile, Verizon, random overseas SIM Card).

Is it advisable for me to get the Verizon fully paid version? Will it work for me with T Mobile and worldwide when I switch to other SIM cards?

I tired asking Apple Support but they can't seem to give me an answer. They just told me to check http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/ which is not very helpful because apparently the CDMA+GSM doesn't list the countries I will visit (e.g. Singapore, Hong Kong, Canada) which are namely the GSM carriers.

Also, are there any comparable differences in connectivity between the two models? I remember I read they use different antenna or of sorts?

Help... anyone?

2. alee macrumors 6502

If you're on T-Mobile, you're only going to roam on GSM carriers anyway, so GSM only is fine.

3. se1000 macrumors 6502

se1000

Verizon, no question.

It will work on all the same GSM carrers AND work on CDMA ones including China

4. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

I think it's T-Mobile, plus they have a really good global roaming option - capped at speed but covers most countries.

5. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I second this. I checked with T-mobile. Their iPhone 7 will not work in for example Korea. The Verizon one will. You could buy the Verizon one, and insert a T-mobile SIM (I unlocked).

6. daflake macrumors 6502a

7. blaine07 macrumors 65816

8. Needs thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually have SIM cards for those countries already. So my concern is really if those prepaid sim cards I already have will work there...

What do you mean by "I unlocked"? Isn't the iPhone (regardless AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon) fully unlocked if I pay full upfront?

Thanks!

I find it really irritating that Apple can't answer my question. In the previous iPhone versions, on their connectivity page, they list something like "Models A1633 and A1634 also support LTE networks listed for Models A1688 and A1687". This time, they did not - which is why they can't seem to answer my question. They told me to get the GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile) version because on that page it has the most countries - even though I am quite confident that the Verizon version of the phone will work fine in all the countries.

9. vanburen982, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

vanburen982 macrumors newbie

se1000 said it best. The Verizon/Sprint Models (1660/1661) will give you the most flexible options for world travel. It works on CDMA/GSM networks. The TMobile/ATT (1778/1784) models do not work on CDMA networks - so if you're in a country that relies on CDMA, you'll have coverage issues. The Apple Website has the disclaimer you're referring to:

"Models A1778 and A1784 do not support CDMA networks, such as those used by Verizon and Sprint."

If you purchase the VZW/Sprint phone at full price it will be unlocked and will work with any SIM, and work anywhere. If you purchase an ATT/T-Mobile phone at full price, those will also be unlocked, but they will not work on a CDMA network.

I purchased a VZW iPhone 7+ yesterday and have an ATT SIM installed. It's working just fine.

Good luck.

10. Needs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! That is really all I need to hear... Will get the Verizon version (and pay full price for the unlocked version) from Apple then!

11. KPOM macrumors G5

Both models support the same LTE and GSM bands. The only difference is the T-Mobile version does not roam onto CDMA 3G networks. But most carriers are moving to LTE so at minimum you should be OK with local SIM cards.

That said Van Buren is right that the Verizon model is more flexible. I am using a "Verizon" iPhone 7 with AT&T right now. AT&T's website doesn't recognize it but all the features work just fine.