Which iPhone Version Better for T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davewolfs, Sep 22, 2012.

1. davewolfs macrumors regular

Which version of the iPhone is better for T-Mobile?

I guess it comes down to whether or not AT&T or Verizon will be compatible with T-Mobiles LTE network.

Does anyone know?

2. Idefix macrumors 6502

tmobile is GSM so VZ won't work, natch...

do you live somewhere where tmobile has LTE? Because otherwise, you'd only be getting very dismal EDGE. Worse than 3G, talking about dial-up speed.

And the contract is still going to be up around $80.

Why?

3. acarney macrumors 6502

Tmobile has also been pushing their 3G onto 1900 MHz, check at your local store, most have "demo" IPhone 4S units now & you'll see very fast if its stuck on EDGE speed.

4. macosxuser01 macrumors 6502a

macosxuser01

T-Mobile doesn't have 4G LTE in the US. There 4G is referring to HSPA+ which is not LTE. Right? Correct me if I am wrong

5. illutionz, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

illutionz macrumors 65816

T-Mobile is in the process to deploy their LTE network and if I remember correctly, they will be using Band 4 just like AT&T.

In addition to that, they are also "refarming" their 3G network to be compatible with iPhone and other global UMTS 3G phone with 1900 spectrum (this includes their HSPA+)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404090,00.asp

This is what T-Mobile is using currently:
    - 1900 frequency as their 2G GSM (EDGE)
    - AWS (1700 frequency) as their 3G and 3.5G (HSPA+) network. Not many carriers in the world is using AWS as their 3G frequency.

This is what they will have soon:
    - 1900 frequency as their 3 and 3.5G (HSPA+) network. This will make their network more compatible with more phones in the US and globally. Includes iPhones.
    - AWS (1700 freq) - as their LTE network. This is Band 4 as we know it. This will align their network with AT&T.

6. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

T mobile is in the process on their lte like above poster says... I heard a few months ago that they were working with Verizon to share their lte(Google it) and so far I seem the Verizon version cones unlock so it should work on tmobile but unless your in the new markets the supports 1900mhz it will be slow as hell, my friend has an iPhone 4 in tmobile and it works with their hspa network (Las Vegas) there is a few markets too, otherwise for hspa 1900mhz you have to wait tmobile is working on it, my best solution for you is get att is not as cheap but their 3g is faster then Verizon, and Verizon prices are too high, sprints 3g sucks (where I live) and I wouldn't recommended them at all

7. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

it is SIM unlocked so it will work for tmobile

8. illutionz macrumors 65816

If you purchase Verizon iPhone 5, the LTE will never work with T-Mobile as they are going to have LTE Band 4 just like AT&T.

If you want LTE on your iPhone 5 with T-Mobile (if and when they came out with that), you probably want the AT&T iPhone 5 with LTE Band 4 compatibility.

9. acarney macrumors 6502

I thought AT&T was either lower or upper 700mhz for LTE?

10. illutionz macrumors 65816

AT&T uses both Band 4 and 17.
    4 is the AWS and 17 is the lower 700 band.

But in terms of choosing iPhone 5, if people are that confident in T-Mobile's ability to roll out LTE, then they should get the A1428 AT&T Model which supports both LTE band 4 and 17 :D

I wouldn't hold my breath for that moment, though.

11. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

no argument, but it will work for the 3G