which iphone5 will work in the UK from the states

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Essa86, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Essa86 macrumors member

my bro is in the states and he wants to get an iphone5. will it work in the UK? what would be the best choice ? for a free contract iphone?

2. shmonkus macrumors member

I'm not sure they are available in the states unlocked yet, only on contract.

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Only the gsm has the SIM card slot.

Stay clear of CDMA versions.

----------

I have read that it can be done but is rare as their networks seem to flatly refuse to sell the iPhone 5 full retail cost.

4. d123, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Not true with the i5.

In fact, the Verizon CDMA model is probably a better choice with regard to LTE frequencies for use in Europe. Also has the advantage of being sold unlocked.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Frequencies in the 3 models

5. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Any of them but the Sprint or Cricket ones are unlocked.

6. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

None of the USA models will support LTE when it arrives in the uk later this month. You need model A1429 which supports LTE band 3.

I know your probably trying to score a cheaper phone but you will be left behind once LTE takes off and your phone won't support it.

7. Daveoc64, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

There's very little benefit to buying an iPhone in the US with the intention of taking it to the UK (permanently).

If the phone will primarily be used in the USA (i.e. by someone that lives there) and you only want to use it in the UK occasionally (for short trips), every iPhone except the iPhone 4 sold by CDMA carriers (like Verizon and Sprint) will work fine for that purpose. The original iPhone will only work with 4/5 of the carriers here (the 5th is 3G only) and the iPhone 4 or later adds support for an additional 3G frequency that 2/5 of the carriers use.

As noted above, only the iPhone 5 model being sold by CDMA carriers (again, Verizon, Sprint etc.) will be compatible with the LTE frequency being used in the UK - albeit with the caveat that only two networks will offer LTE on that frequency. The other carriers will (eventually) offer LTE on frequencies that no current iPhone model is compatible with.

Even though this is true, I imagine that it will be impossible for someone who isn't a US Resident to get an iPhone 5 from a CDMA carrier as they won't simply sell you the phone - you'll need to either have or take out some form of contract.

8. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

false, My vzw has a sim card slot and I believe there is a sim card in there, I think it's needed for LTE.

9. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

All models would work. Model A1428 (GSM), Model A1429 (CDMA) and Model A1429 (yep, 29, GSM).

The last A1429 model is sold in Europe. It supports the standard GSM frequencies + LTE (850, 1800, 2100 MHz).

The first A1429 (CDMA, Verizon/Sprint version) model supports CDMA + the standard GSM frequencies + LTE (700c, 850, 1800, 1900, 2100).

So DO NOT get an AT&T version (Model A1428). Else you'll won't be able to use LTE networks (in the future). Get the A1429 (Verizon/Sprint) version.

The A1429 Verizon/Sprint version is the most complete version and supports most frequencies. It supports all the frequencies that's found in the European iPhone 5 + more LTE networks + CDMA.

10. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Both Verizon and Sprint iPhone5's are model A1429, with the Verizon one being sold unlocked.

OP tell your brother to get a Verizon iPhone 5 and it will work with LTE for EE mobile in the UK.

----------

Buy straight from an Apple store, or buy on ebay or craigslist. There's tons of them out there.

Just make sure it's the Verizon model. Even though the Sprint is technically the same model as Verizon, only the Verizon one comes factory unlocked.

11. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Also bear in mind that none of the US iPhones will work on the new UK 4G networks.

12. Mr.C macrumors 601

Where did you get that from. Both the Sprint and Verizon phones support the same 4G/LTE frequencies that will be used by Everything Everywhere here in the UK. Your advice is contradicting what pretty much everyone else has said in this thread.

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They are probably going by the advice provided by Apple...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

14. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Did you read my post and see the link?

The Verizon model has the same GSM and LTE frequencies as the UK model.

An unlocked Verizon iPhone 5 will do everything a UK model will.

----------

The advice by Apple that shows the LTE bands for the Verizon model as

The same 1800MHz that EE will launch this month and 3 will launch next year?

15. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

Confused as to how the OP will be able to buy the Verizon version without taking out a contract, even if it were possible to do as a tourist.

16. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

... but as above, you can't buy the CDMA model without having a Verizon/Sprint/Whatever contract, so that's not an option.

17. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Craig's list? US branches of CEX?

18. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

You can pay full retail at Apple can't you? Or do you have to be a Verizon customer to do it? If that's the case then I wasn't aware.

19. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Verizon and Sprint (as well as all of the CDMA networks as far as I remember) will only allow phones to be used on their network if they were purchased specifically for use on that network. As such, it makes no sense for Apple to just sell someone that model of phone at full price, as they'll never be able to use it!

20. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Not true. Read the above. Verizon phones are unlocked and support CDMA, 3G GSM bands, and some LTE bands. This is not a CDMA only phone.

21. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

What's not true?

Nobody is disputing what you've just written.

The policy of CDMA carriers in the United States is to not allow customers to "bring their own" device with them.

As such, it makes absolutely no sense for someone to go into an Apple Store and request the model of iPhone designed for CDMA networks without a contract, no matter if it is unlocked. Once purchased, none of the CDMA networks will touch it - so why would Apple even offer it as an option?

22. dchao macrumors 6502a

Verizon store might sell iPhone 5 off contract. If not, try Radio Shack or Best Buy.

It also depends on your luck, if the store only have a few left, they might prefer to sell their stocks to an on-contract customer (more kick back from the carrier). Then it is up to the discretion of the manage to sell it to you.

23. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I don't know what you are going on about. First if you buy a Verizon iPhone 5 at full price or subsidized of course they will allow you connect to their network if you get a contract with them. Second, the OP said their relative was in the US and wanted to buy a phone and wanted to make sure it would work OK in the UK. The Verizon iPhone 5 is the best one for these requirement.

24. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

But they won't be getting a contract. They've stated that clearly.

When you activate an iPhone on a GSM network, it will never be usable on a CDMA network. As such, it makes no sense for Apple to sell someone an iPhone 5 for a CDMA network unless that person puts it onto their CDMA account when they buy it - even if that's by paying full price for the phone.

If you go to the Apple Store and say that you want an iPhone, but you want the CDMA model with no service attached to it then they'll probably explain all this to you and refuse the sale. Apple.com hints at this.

They don't state whether the relative is a US Resident or is only visiting for a short period, so it makes it harder to give advice.

25. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I would have to see some proof of that. There are people here who have taken a iPhone 5 and activated it on AT&T and T-Mobile. Even if Verizon "doesn't let you", you could buy one, cancel the contract and pay the ETF. You would still have an unlocked iPhone 5 at the same cost as buying it full price. Someone could easily do this.