Which IPS monitor to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hey Apple!, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Hey Apple!, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011

Hey Apple! macrumors member

I currently have a Dell st2210 that I purchased a year ago, and now, I cannot help but feel the colors are washed out and not as accurate as they are meant to be shown. I'm a gamer where color accuracy is not mission critical, but I feel like if I invest in an amazing graphics card, why not invest in a monitor that will be able to actually display the eyecandy correctly? After using some IPS panels I have noticed the difference between IPS panels and TN panels is like night and day.

Two monitors that I have been looking at are the Dell u2410 and the Dell u2711. Are these monitors any good? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? No glossy display suggestions please. It makes the colors appear more vivid but I can't stand the glossy nature of the screen.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Dell U2711 uses the same panel as 27" ACD and 27" iMac, which both have pretty good colors. U2410 is also good from what I have heard but of course 27" is nicer.

3. charliex5 macrumors regular

I've got the U2311H and I think it is absolutely amazing looking. I have it set up next to a junk Hanns G and there is no comparison. I can barely stand to look at the Hanns G anymore.

4. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

+1 I just bought an U2311H as well and love it. The ultrasharp line is very nice and affordable when on sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Hey Apple!, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

Hey Apple! thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. The only thing I'm worried about is the display being too bright and burning my eyes out with the larger ones which is why I'm hesitant. I've never used a larger screen really, but Dell is really good when you buy directly from them. They said they'd let me return within 14 days of shipping date if I didn't like it and ship it back to them at their expense so I'm probably going to do that with the 27". I've heard the higher resolution is really nice.

6. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

I never understood, why is this a problem?
    What do you think, why most of the screens have a brightness/contrast button? Just for decoration?

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

if you want accurate colors and brightness you really need to calibrate your display. I am a photographer and my displays are calibrated with a special calorimeter and software which cost me about $200 - $300. The brightness is also critical to get prints to match what you see. If your prints are too dark then your monitor is too bright and vice versa.

Brightness is the easiest thing to fix to remove eye strain by just using common sense when you set it. Stores often have their brightness cranked up very high so as to make reflection from the glossy screen to be less obvious.

8. Hey Apple! thread starter macrumors member

I'm just going by my experience from a while back when I went to a store and looked at the old 30" apple cinema displays. They must have had the brightness cranked way up. It felt like I was staring into the sun. I guess monitors are better about that these days. Whenever I look at a 27" imac screen, it is fine. Just that one experience with the 30" acd though was terrible.

Also to address what you were saying about brightness settings. If it's too bright your eyes will burn. If it's too dark, your eyes will be too strained to see the image well. So even though there is that setting, you have to be able to find a happy medium.

Yeah that's also a good point you bring up. I probably will eventually look into some decent calibration to get the color and brightness just right.

9. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

10. jtara macrumors 65816

I have 4 Samsung Syncmaster 213T IPS monitors. They're at least 10 years old and still going strong. One of them does have a color and brightness shift vs. the others.

They are beautiful, (as is my 15" IBM Thinkpad A31p from the same era. Don't really understand why IPS didn't sweep the market. All these crappy monitors that are so sensitive to viewing angle! My Macbook was really a disappointment in the display department, after the Thinkpad.

Presumably, the technology has gotten even better in the mean time. Highly recommend Samsung!

11. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

I use the NEC PA271W and love it. The monitor has incredible color quality and even a built-in KVM. It's a little pricey, but well worth it depending on your needs.

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Throw my hat in with the U2311 crowd too. Very nice monitor. Using it with my MBA right now.