Which is best out of these 4 options for 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bertiewooster, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Bertiewooster macrumors newbie

I was hoping you folks could give me your opinions/advice on this.

I'm looking to buy a 13" MBP and was wondering if any of the following options would benefit me considerably.

I would use the MBP for photo editing using Photoshop Elements and Nikon Capture NX2 (a slow program but which is relatively quick on my mate's 2010 Macbook); watching HD videos on Youtube and itunes; internet, email, itunes, iphoto. I don't play any games btw. I would normally have about 5-6 applications open at any one time (email/internet/PS Elements/Capture NX2/itunes/iphoto). I am looking for speed really - opening applications quickly and processing photos as quick as possible on the software, plus watching HD video content without any slow down.

Option 1: Buy the 2.66GHz MBP

Option 2: Buy the 2.4GHz MBP and upgrade the RAM to 8Gb

Option 3: Buy the 2.4Ghz MBP and the 128GB SSD

Option 4: Stick with the basic 2.4 GHz MBP

I'm basically asking which is the best out of a faster processor, faster RAM or an SSD? Would any of these options make a big difference or would I be ok with the 'basic' 2.4Ghz model?

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Go for the #3. CPU speed doesn't matter and 4GB should be fine and that can easily be updated later on. SSD should make the biggest improvement for you

3. agr5 macrumors member

I am leaning towards upping the RAM in my 2.4 13". I find when I am running Win7 through Parallels that all but 60MB is being used (out of 4GB). So I think I will go with RAM. I'm going to wait for SSD's to come down in price before I get one of those, I don't think they are worth it for the price, at least for me.

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I would recommend the 2nd option, 2.4 GHz and upgrade the RAM to 8GB however don't buy the RAM from Apple get it from OWC or Crucial to save a little money. The apps you are running are not really processor intensive and I think you'd get more bang with a memory upgrade. As far as storage I'd get the default drive and put in a 500 GB 7200 RPM drive, again probably from OWC.

5. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

The SSD option, absolutely no question. Unless you are using virtual machines or other massively memory hungry 64 bit programs (and most programs are still 32bit), 4GB should be fine and easy to upgrade later. SSD is the best upgrade I ever made.

You can use activity monitor to watch your RAM and swap file usage and if for some reason do bump up against the limit, shut a program or two down.

6. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

When I purchased my MBP 2.53 last November I upgrade to 8GB of OWC RAM. Last week I installed an OWC 100GB Sandforce SSD. Each upgrade cost me about $400. Without a doubt the SSD was a better bang for the buck in terms of performance. While there are situations where the 8GB pays off, in the normal corse of day to day operation the extra 4GB doesn't get much use. The added performance of the SSD however is there in just about everything I do on the Mac.

7. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

One thing to consider is that both the memory and the SSD can be upgraded at a later date, you are stuck however with the CPU. If you are considering the 2.66 it may be worth going for it and if you need / want a SSD or 8GB of RAM at a later date it can be done.

However I'm sure which ever option you choose you will be happy, these 13" MBPs are great little machines. :)

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

9. itripped macrumors member

This. I got the 2.66 because I can always add more ram or swap out drives next year. You won't be able to bump up the processor as easily.

10. mike8717189 macrumors member

Option 3, and I wish I did that myself, but I can always upgrade myself :D

11. jmdMac macrumors regular

Yes the 2.4 should be fine. IMHO the best option is a combination of #2 and #3, however do this AFTER you get your mbp. This way you can purchase better RAM and/or SSD than apple would give you at a fraction of the cost. Regards,
    John

12. Bertiewooster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Am I right in that the SSD will launch applications faster? (apart from being more durable, better battery life, etc) So there are no real drawbacks to a SSD that you've experienced?

13. Eltorero macrumors newbie

#4 and buy an SSD yourself as soon as Apple adds TRIM support.

14. vant macrumors 65816

Option #5: Upgrade everything yourself with the 2.4.

The 2.66 (2.53 2009) wasn't a good deal back in 09, it is even worse in 2010. At least back then you had a RAM upgrade, now it's just CPU/HD.

$300 for .26 and a slightly larger HD is definitely a ripoff. Take it if you love giving your hard earned cash for next to nothing. Or be smart about it and save it for your next MacBook a few years down the road.