Which is better: Airport Extreme or D-Link Dir-855 Xtreme N Duo?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Summer2000, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Summer2000 macrumors member

Hi,
    I'm planning on buying a wireless router in the next couple of days but I'm not sure which of the two would be best for my needs. Can anyone help me out with your thought about their features?

I plan on using it to support with 2 PC laptops and a MBP.

Thanks,
    Summer2000

2. ajx22 macrumors regular

3. Summer2000 thread starter macrumors member

4. ajx22 macrumors regular

Understood - which is where my 2nd statement came in.

5. admadan macrumors newbie

That depends what you plan on doing. The airport extreme might work for you. I personally need a router that does QOS and the DIR-855 provides that. I plan on buying the DIR-855 and setting up the QOS function to prioritize VOIP, use the 5ghz only for an 'N' network and the 2.4ghz to support whatever b/g devices happen to be in my house or come by for a visit. If it weren't for the lack of QOS I would buy the airport extreme or even a Time Capsule. What are your plans for the router?

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

If the DIR-855 is anything like their older DIR-655, it will be a winner. I've been using the DIR-655 for quite a while now and have nothing but good things to say about it. It handles tons of connections and just keeps on chugging without needing any restarts. The following link has a good review:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30087/96/

7. Summer2000 thread starter macrumors member

I ended up going with the Airport Extreme. I've had it since last Friday and I like it a lot. I needed the USB port to share a printer and hard drive between 2 laptops.