Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I have noticed Google Chrome 21 has been hogging a lot of memory at the moment on my machine and i was wondering which is the best web browser?

I have heard that Firefox 15 has improved greatly. So which is the best web browser for Mac OS X Mountain Lion currently?

Ross

there is a tonne of threads on Chrome vs Firefox vs Safari it all comes down to personal preferences

I like Safari the best

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Ditto. I have no issues with Safari. I installed Firefox for the sync bookmarks but then the bookmarks in Safari sync'd in the iCloud so I rarely open FF anymore

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I have noticed Google Chrome 21 has been hogging a lot of memory at the moment on my machine and i was wondering which is the best web browser?
You memory hoarders crack me up. :D

What else did you get that 8GB for if you don't want to use it?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I just dont appreciate my MacBook Pro getting to 90 degrees and burns a mark onto my leg because of some stupid program taking up memory!
Using memory doesn't drive up temps as much as using CPU or GPU.

Apple Portables: Operating temperature
The bottom of your Apple portable may become warm during normal use. If the computer is on your lap and gets uncomfortably warm, remove it from your lap and place it on a stable surface.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I just dont appreciate my MacBook Pro getting to 90 degrees and burns a mark onto my leg because of some stupid program taking up memory!
That doesn't mean memory is the culprit. Right now I'm using 5/8GB and am running a cool 59 degrees.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I used Chrome for years when I had my PC. Since switching to Mac, the first thing I did was install Chrome.

I tried using Safari, mostly to get used to it because of the cloud syncing. But when Google came out with the same thing, I went back to Chrome. I'm just comfortable with it. I'm used to it. I have FF on my Mac as well, but I only use that to download random videos I like online (except YouTube).

I really liked Chrome because of its YouTube Downloader extension. But recently YouTube has blocked any downloaders, so I've had to go with 3rd party apps to do what I used to be able to do right within Chrome. It sucks, but it was bound to happen eventually. There are other extentions that I use daily that are not on other browsers, so I still prefer Chrome. I only use Safari to visit the Apple website, because their videos like that browser better.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Safari hands down.

I was all about Safari, until two days ago. Too many sites are giving me trouble on Safari (and I don't have extensions blocking anything or such), while "FireFox" is working 100%.

This in addition to 10.8.2 still causing Safari to fully reload pages while browsing was enough for me to leave it after many, many years.

----------

So true! Free RAM is wasted RAM.

Yeah, until I load Final Cut Pro and Motion on my 12-Core Pro with 32 GB's RAM. It's free for a reason, so other apps you load can use it. It's a misnomer proven time and time again that free RAM is wasted RAM; when running Mail, Calendar, iTunes and Safari/FF, ~30-40% of my 32 GB RAM is used (according to iStat Menu's and other apps), then racing up to 80%, and for many users on notebooks even worse, that's an issue. Big time. Console and Stats show the culprits are core Apple app's, which shouldn't be memory hogs. Period.

Since 10.7, OS X memory management has been abysmal and 10.8.2 barely improves it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yeah, until I load Final Cut Pro and Motion on my 12-Core Pro with 32 GB's RAM. It's free for a reason, so other apps you load can use it. It's a misnomer proven time and time again that free RAM is wasted RAM; when running Mail, Calendar, iTunes and Safari/FF, ~30-40% of my 32 GB RAM is used (according to iStat Menu's and other apps), then racing up to 80%, and for many users on notebooks even worse, that's an issue.
Even at 80% usage, if you still have free RAM with all your apps running, that 20% of free RAM is wasted, in that it's not being used. Mac OS X manages memory, allocating it between apps as needed.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Even at 80% usage, if you still have free RAM with all your apps running, that 20% of free RAM is wasted, in that it's not being used. Mac OS X manages memory, allocating it between apps as needed.

Tell that to the many who are having Logic Pro issues with memory management, or FCPX 10.0.5. Great in theory, bad in practice.

Also, OS X 10.7-8 has been crashing for many when that last bit of RAM is needed when a new app is opened, causing kernel panics. So much for memory management.

Another thought, would you claim free drive space "wasted space"? It's free for a reason, when you need it. Until OS X manages RAM appropriately, it's a failed implementation.

Last edited:

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I knew when I opened this thread there would be a list of links from GGJstudios. :)

OP: You should check out those links and also check out the "Mac Applications and Mac App Store" sub-forum. As I recall there have been a few more recent threads there asking the same question.

My $0.02: Try out the different browsers and pick the one that works best for you. No one here can tell you what you like best. I've found Firefox to be better than Safari because Safari has too many quirks that I don't like. Many people will disagree with that. It all comes down to personal preference and your specific set-up.

JesalTV

Aug 24, 2012
London
Safari was dead to me on Mac, but since upgrading to Mountain Lion, it's significantly better.

Otherwise Firefox. I really don't like how Chrome comes in and messes stuff up.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I use Safari. I was really wanting to use Firefox, but I like the tab-syncing feature of Safari...also, it syncs bookmarks to my iPad and iPhone.

And the cool two-finger back swipe animations make it worthwhile. :)

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL

I have heard that Firefox 15 has improved greatly. So which is the best web browser for Mac OS X Mountain Lion currently?

Ross

Chrome, hands down.Runnign the latest beta,no issues

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
I like safari. I use chrome at work just to try it. But still I think Safari would be my personal choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.