Which is the fastest OSX for my macbook 2,4ghz Core 2 Duo & 4GB Ram?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by patrick1234, Mar 14, 2015.

1. patrick1234 macrumors member

Hello,
    i have now a old macbook middle 2010, i dont like to buy more ram or ssd.
    On which OSX works Safari on my macbook fastest, please?
    :)

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

First of you need to give more information about the MacBook like which model, how much RAM is installed. If you are unsure of which version of OS X to install, create a new partition on your internal hard drive and install OS X on to the new partition. This will allow you to try out a version and decide if it works well enough for you. You can even erase the new partiton and install another version again. Think of this like a test drive without affecting your main OS X install on your primary partition.

If I am not mistaken I believe your MacBook originally came installed with Snow Leopard? I have a 2009 MacBook Pro installed with 10.10.2 and Safari v8 is really fast on it. I would say Safari v8 is the fastest Safari of all the versions I have used and I have used them all since OS X 10.2.

Which version of OS X is now installed on your MacBook? You are going to be limited on which versions you will be able to get as Apple does not have anything earlier then Mavericks available for direct download in the Mac App Store any longer. I don't even think you can even get Mavericks from the Mac App Store any longer.

3. AleXXXa macrumors 6502

AleXXXa

I had the same Macbook Pro. I gave it to my parents a few months ago.
    The fastest OS (and most stable) is SnowLeopard. But i wouldn't use it nowadays, it's oboselete :(. You can't install the latest apps (latest Safari is 5.1, latest iTunes is 11 that doesn't support the latest idevices), it lacks a lot of features (like AirDrop, iMessage, iCloud, iBooks etc).

Lion was a failure, Yosemite is way to buggy and slow even on new Macs.
    I'd say install a fresh copy of Mavericks or Mountain Lion. They both were pretty stable and fast on my 2010 MBP with some upgrades (SSD, 8GB RAM).

4. patrick1234 thread starter macrumors member

This info is in the Title ;): 2,4ghz code 2 duo & 4GB RAM

yes, i know it is allways better to install the osx on a fresh formated HD.
    I can have 10.9 and 10.10.

5. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Yea I guess I was not paying attention to the title enough. My suggestion is not really about doing a clean install but more about you trying out a version of OS X without committing to installing it over your already installed OS X. When you are done reboot to your primary partition and delete the other partition that you created.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote above:
    [[ i have now a old macbook middle 2010, i dont like to buy more ram or ssd.
    On which OSX works Safari on my macbook fastest, please? ]]

Quick easy answer:
    Mountain Lion OS 10.8.5

IF all you have is a platter-based hard drive, you'll probably find that both Mavericks and Yosemite (10.9 and 10.10) run "on the slow side".

7. patrick1234 thread starter macrumors member

Really only because of that i have a hard disc is that best way to install 10.8 ?

8. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

You will have a hard finding 10.8 as Apple does not have it available any longer. I do not agree that because you have a spinning hard disk Yosemite will be slow. I have 3 machines running Yosemite, 2 of them have a spinning hard drive and I don't find using Yosemite slow. You may find that running Yosemite, the boot time will be longer though.

9. patrick1234 thread starter macrumors member

Only for Safari Speed it makes no difference if i have a hd or ssd?

10. Eithanius macrumors 65816

15" MBP 2010 i7 here with 8GB RAM and SSD... Yosemite clean install... Safari is fast, but at the expense of other apps. I've got VLC playing video, when Safari loads heavy pages like CNN or Facebook, VLC playback stutters... Not only that, MC animation also stutters at times... I blame Apple not becoz of Yosemite, but becoz they fail to update the nVidia drivers on older hardware...

Snow Leopard with Firefox is still the best though not as fast as Safari...

11. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

12. Taz Mangus, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'd just put 10.9 on it and call it a day, my work MBP ('09) got 10.9 reinstalled because 10.10 was a slug.

14. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I have 10.10.2 running on a '09 MBP and Yosemite does not run like a slug. Runs just as well or even better in some cases then 10.9 did. If it did run like a slug my wife would have me uninstall it as she uses it for her work. Not sure why it would have been different for you.