Which is the latest iOS that I can upgrade my 3GS to and keep jaybreak/unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by augu2000, Nov 30, 2010.

1. augu2000 macrumors member

Hi,

I have an iPhone 3GS running iOS 3.1.2 (older bootrom, I think), with modem firmware 05.11.07. I have jailbreaked it using blackra1n by geohot, and then I used the sn0w unlock that came with blackra1n to unlock it. It was really easy and it has worked like a charm since I did it (a few months ago).

Now I am thinking about updating my iOS to some of the iOS 4 versions, since I heard that iOS 4 has a bunch of cool new features. But I am confused about which version I should update to to be able to keep the jailbreak and unlock. Any help on this?

Also, are there easy jailbreaks/unlocks for iOS 4.x.x as was blackra1n and sn0w for iOS 3.1.2?

Thanks!!!

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Myzhi

You can go all the way to latest 4.2.1, bit is kina complicated. More easy to go 4.1 instead. Create (Pwnagetool) or find (google) a custom 4.1 firmware (keeps baseband), you must use Pwnagetool (Mac) or Redsnow (Windows) to put phone into special DFU mode, and then, restore with custom firmware file through iTunes.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I would strongly recommend using PwnageTool to create a custom 4.1 firmware with which to upgrade your phone. That will upgrade and jailbreak your phone in a single step.

Alternatively, since your phone has the old bootrom, you could use the unofficial PwnageTool bundle to create a 4.2.1 custom firmware with which to upgrade your phone and then use Redsn0w to jailbreak. But I don't think that 4.2.1 really has enough in it to justify the extra hassle.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I have the same phone as u and I'm at 4.2.1. U need to use pwnage tool and then redsn0w.

5. augu2000 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply! A couple more questions:

1) Is there any tool for iOS 4.1 (like blackra1n for 3.1.2) that would do the jailbreak/unlock by just clicking on it?

2) Would doing it with Pwnagetool have any effect on battery life? I had battery issues before with Pwnagetool and they were solved when I factory restored my 3GS and used blackra1n to jailbreak/unlock.

Thanks again!

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Any 1-click solution would require you to upgrade your phone first, which would also upgrade your baseband and cause you to lose your unlock.

And, no, PwnageTool has absolutely no effect on battery life. If you had problems before, they were probably caused by restoring from backup and not by PwnageTool.

7. augu2000 thread starter macrumors member

8. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Myzhi

1) Those type of JB method requires you to already be on that firmware which means you already have updated baseaband. For example, you need to be on 4.1 with locked 5.14 baseband. That's why you need to go custom firmware route.

2) Any JB method could cause issues, like battery problems. JB method from Dev Team (Pwnagetool and Redsnow) usually have less issues than others. I have always gone custom firmware and never had issues with battery life.