Which is worse blunder: Lightning or Maps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PracticalMac, Oct 17, 2012.

?

Which is worse blunder: Lightning or Maps?

Poll closed Oct 17, 2013.
  1. Lightning

17 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. Maps

69 vote(s)
    30.3%
  3. No blunder, everything fine, nothing to see, move along....

142 vote(s)
    62.3%
  1. PracticalMac, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

EDIT: I am NOT saying Lighting is a bad technolgoy.
    I *AM* saying Apple bungled the switch to it, citing a number of people with bad cables out of box, and NO options on release day (even spare cables from Apple was not yet released).
    /EDIT

Apple admitted Maps was far from polished with all manner of mistakes so unlike the usually well polished Apple products.

On the other hand, it looks like the Lightning cable is far more serious, since even to CHARGE the iPhone 5 needs the special "smart" cable.
    I have read a few posts of people getting faulty cables that would not charge their phones.

Now Apple is planning a meeting next month for accessory makers on how to make Lightning accessories, even though it gave a select few vendors early access. I am sure a lot of accessory makers are seriously pissed off right now.

Lightning seems fabulous, but as of this writing one will loose many of the capabilities of the 30 pin and gain nothing useful.
    Right now it is a big step backward until those accessories get on the market, and even then.

So, did Apple make a serious mistake not to get more vendors on the action weeks/months earlier and forgo it being a secret?

Poll coming (I hope...)

2. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Not even going to get drawn into your stupid "debate".

There is nothing wrong with lightning, it's a good improvement over the outdated 30 pin, and your assumption above is just plain wrong.

I can charge my iphone 5 using any microUSB cable or charger I have, no "smart" cable needed.

3. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

4. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

I actually like the new connection cable, and with 5 apple devices in my household I had accumulated a bunch of 30 pin cables

What I like about the lightning cable is unlike the 30 pin you don't have insert it a specific way.

5. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

6. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Meant to ask, do you get bored and lonely sitting under your bridge?

Can't see any other reason to sit and make up crap like this thread.

7. nutmac macrumors 68040

I always hated Maps prior to iOS 6. While the results were relevant, it was slow and lack of turn-by-turn made it one of the least frequently used bundled apps. Maps on iOS 6 isn't great either, but the user experience and turn-by-turn makes it much more usable (and I have NAVIGON, which is being used less and less because usability is so poor).

While search results, data accuracy, and routing are nowhere nearly as good as before, they are good enough for me to find my way around in most cases.

As for Lightning, I have no problem buying new cables (I have 2 currently, 1 at work and 1 at home vs. 3-4 for 30-pin cables) and retiring old iHome speaker. Let's face it, the old cable was very fragile and hard to use (it would frequently scrape the device). The benefits clear overweigh the negatives.

8. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I don't consider Lightning a blunder at all. I am however having a lot of trouble with Maps.

9. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

I don't think an accessory that is difficult for third parties to replicate and has limited compatibility should be considered a blunder...those things tend to happen with new technology. If it didn't work at all and ran half the speed of the 30 pins, then maybe, but I've experienced no problems with the cable or any of the accessories with which I use it.

Maps wasn't a big dealbreaker either, but I've already had TomTom for a long time. That being said, I haven't actually experienced any of the reported issues with the new maps application myself -- it's gotten me to everywhere I've asked it to (literally, asked Siri) without any problems.

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

So far maps has been flawless. And the new plug was long overdue. It is faster than the traditional USB cable and backs up much faster...it is much easier to plug in when you cant look since its reversible and I just got my adapter so no issues.

11. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

I respect Apple for trying to make a turn by turn navigation App that is native to the device. I mean it isn't their fault that google wouldn't let them use the navigation app that comes on all android apps.

12. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

It is what it is. Hopefully, it will get much better.

13. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

14. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

15. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

He needs to change the title to:
    Which is worse blunder: Lightning, Maps, or This Thread?

And add it to part of the poll

16. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Lol . . . Classic!

17. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

The 30 pin connector needed replacement.. it was very much outdated. In 1-2 years time.. lightning connector's will be everywhere on accessories. It isn't going away. All future iPods/iPhones/iPad's will have it.

18. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

You left off the third and most obvious option...your post.

19. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

No blunder. Lightning was a good idea that had to happen sooner or later. Maps is growing pains. They should have left Google Maps on it as well with Apple Maps an app for the first year while it was sorted before banishing off Google.

20. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Lightning. 30 pin was working just fine for me. The only new 'features' I get out of lightning are the ability to reverse the connector, which I don't care about, and a smidgeon of extra thinness, which I don't care about, either.

21. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Whaa whaa whaa I don't like change whaa whaa!

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I was going to say Maps but I've discovered Lightning's USB connector is too small and slippery for me to reliably remove it. Particularly when it's plugged in next to something else. So I'll say "draw".

23. saud0488 macrumors 6502

If you really want a good answer to this, post the same question/poll on a site where 98% of readers/posters aren't drinking the kool aid. Try Engadget, Gizmodo or something.

I'd say they're both pretty bad.

----------

says the guy only using apple products.:confused:

24. ANMA dojo macrumors regular