Which Large (~27inch) Monitor to Pair with Retina MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Morgo, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Morgo macrumors member

As no new iMacs were released yesterday, I'm tending towards purchasing a (base model) Retina MBP along with a large screen monitor.

On the monitor I am not hung up on the branding - I simply want a high quality screen. Which monitors would you guys recommend?

2. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I'd personally wait for an updated ACD. With the new magesafe2 connector, they will update it with that. At the same time they will most likely roll out an ACD with retina display(parameters). You will also see the 17" upgraded with retina at this time as well.

3. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

But how will they do that? The tech specs page says:

Maybe the next generation with higher graphics output?

4. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

5. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Possibly... I hadn't thought of that limitation. Will be interesting to see how things go.

Maybe another reason to hold off until the next update... Decisions, decisions.

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Those are normal Displayport specifications so that you can connect your MBP to a 30" screen.

7. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

A very decent alternative to the Thunderbolt Display is the Dell U2711.

Very happy with mine. Sure it isn't as pretty as the TBD but connectivity options are great and it uses a similar high-res LG panel (it's slightly better in the Dell but it's negligible) for a lot less. I used the price difference to upgrade my desktop speakers to these beauties:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/T...s-MM-1-Speakers?fnode=MTY1NDA0MA&s=topSellers

Arguably the resell value isn't as good if you want to upgrade later on to the inevitable "Retina" Apple display, but for now it's a solid option.

8. eron macrumors 6502

Just going by the screen, and nothing else, I would go with a Samsung S27A850D. Better AG than a Dell U2711.

Thunderbolt Displays usually have too much glare.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I don't expect Apple to offer a Retina panel in their display anytime soon. To maintain the margins they do on other lines, would require high volume sales. But then again you never know with them.

10. auero macrumors 65816

I own a thunderbolt display and I love it. I was terrified about what glare would be like because I get headaches from it but it's been great.

The Dell U2711 is a great screen too. It was a toss up but I didn't like the antiglare coating on it. I felt for the price I might as well as get a thunderbolt display with the camera, speakers (not terrific but ok) and ports on the back.

11. Xcelerate macrumors regular

12. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

A 27 inch display would most likely be updated to 4K+ resolution if we are following similar trends in the iPad and MacBook Pro "retina" upgrades.

These will cost a fortune. I have RED cameras that produce 4K and 5K resolution video files and I don't even have a 4K monitor yet. That being said, I will gladly bite my tongue if Apple can push out displays in volume that are 4K+ and sub $1000 like the current ACDs.

13. Stetrain, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

Stetrain macrumors 68040

I don't think there's a better option than the 27" Thunderbolt display as a companion to the Retina Macbook Pro if it's in your budget range.

Along with the 27" 2560x1440 display, you get Gigabit Ethernet, Firewire 800, and extra USB ports, and a built in charger. All you have to plug in is magsafe and thunderbolt when you get home.

If you just want a display without the docking features, as far as I know all displays with the 27" 2560x1440 panel use the exact same panel. There's the Dell Ultrasharp 27" which you can get for a couple hundred less than the Thunderbolt display.

I don't see the 27" Thunderbolt Display being replaced with a retina model for a long time. Even if they came out with a 4K version in the next couple of years they would probably keep selling both since the new one would be so much more expensive.

14. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yeah, go with the 27" thunderbolt display....ordered mine from refurbished website for $849. Easy way to save $150, refurbished looked new!

15. Xcelerate macrumors regular

Oh, and here's an interesting stat. The Apple Cinema Display's only have 71% of the pixels as these new Macbooks. Crazy.

(Granted, I'd rather have a 27" with that resolution.)

16. auero macrumors 65816

Amazon has them for $950 tax free. For an extra 50 dollars you can have a new one. Either way, can't go wrong.

17. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

The thunderbolt display and the retina MBP really are perfect for each other, you get all of the expandability of a desktop when you need it, and the portability of the laptop. Plus you can use the magsafe on the monitor and have the other one to keep in your backpack or wherever to easily take it with you.

18. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Also if you get the Thunderbolt display remember to grab the $10 magsafe adapter so you can use the built in charger with your Retina Macbook Pro.

19. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Not gonna lie, but I've been buying Apple refurbished products and they look absolutely NEW! Never have had a problem with them being defective. Only thing you're really missing out on is a retail box. They give you a brown box instead.

20. cgully macrumors newbie

21. Rmafive macrumors 6502

I am guessing we will see an update to the thunderbolt display in 2013 with the new iMac. I'm guessing we'll see usb 3.0 and a slightly higher resolution display (close to or 4k). I guess I will have to wait and continue using my 24" LED cinema display for now!