Which large monitor with max of res of 1920 x 1080?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chris7, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Chris7 macrumors 6502

Looking for a large (27"-ish) screen with a max res of 1920 x 1080 to use with Final Cut Pro.

I’m about to purchase FCP and am trying to decide which screen to use with my MacBook Pro (laptop screen will have the browser window only, later later to close the laptop and upgrade to a really nice smaller monitor to use for the canvas). One of the main reasons I wanted a large screen is because the text and icons on the timeline are so small in FCP. The problem with the 30” screens is that they’re 2560 x 1600, so the text stays small in native resolution. Apparently there’s no way to enlarge the text though FCP. As an “experiment,” I tried decreasing the res on my laptop screen to make things bigger; it turns out bigger but very blurry. So I it seems I need the native resolution to be as small as possible and the screen as big as possible to get the text and icons as big as possible.

What are my options? The new Dell 2709W 27-inch isn’t getting the best reviews, and I doubt I’ll find one used. I like the idea of a screen that looks decent without color correction software so I can plug the camcorder in though the HDMI input and preview my footage before using FCP, but this may not be an option. I’m not going to be doing pro work, but I would consider buying a pro-sumer screen, if I can find it used.

Thanks in advance.

2. trudd macrumors regular

trudd

I hear Dell's 24" is nice. The 2407 or what have you.

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

Whatever you get, make sure it is a true 8bit per channel display. I won a contest and got a Free Dell E228WFP which I used to replace my old 21inch Sony Trinitron ( 1600x1200 @ 85Hz... a dream, but a behemoth ) turned out to only be 6 bits per channel and it drives me insane in Final Cut.