Which Mac really?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by gundamwow, Mar 9, 2003.

  1. gundamwow macrumors newbie

    Mar 9, 2003
    I have a 733 G4 tower with the nvedia mx2 card and 640ram
    But I want to upgrade to a faster system.
    I was thinking about upgrading to a dual processor from Sonnet or Powelogix but its kind of expensive, also would upgrade video card.
    Is it better to maybe buy a new system or would upgrading my current computer be fine?
    I want to use programs such as photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut Pro, Pixels 3d, etc.
    Please help!
  2. iWantAMac macrumors 6502

    Feb 6, 2003
  3. Bear macrumors G3

    Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Re: Which Mac really?

    Figure out the cost of all the Upgrades Figure out the price of a new system. Find out how much you can get for your old system.

    Remember you can get AppleCare on a new system. Some of the components most likely to cause problems will be brand new. You'll have a bigger hard dirve probably, probably a better optical drive.

    After you figure out the cost difference, and what other upgraded pieces you'd be getting, you can then decide if it's worth upgrading or buying new.

    I've seen some people spend more on upgrades and not get as much as they would've from a new system.
  4. scem0 macrumors 604


    Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    If I were you I would wait until the a powermac comes out with
    a IBM PPC 970 chip in it. The system you have is plenty fast
    enough to hold you over. I think it would be in your best interest
    to wait for the next upgrade of powermacs to come out. You
    don't want to be stuck with a 32 bit processor when everyone
    else is running a 64 bit processor. But if you gotta buy one right
    now, I recommend dealmac to find the best prices out there.

    Good luck. ;)
  5. iWantAMac macrumors 6502

    Feb 6, 2003

    You probably consider a refurbished system as a new system, huh. :eek:
  6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Forget refurbished unit. you have a powermac. same one i had untill i made it a 800. Sonnet/giga designs/powerlogix all have some great upgrades for this thing. i have looked at the 1.2 cpus they all have. the prices are coming down also. and you can allways go for a better video card. the 2mx doesnt cut it in my book so i stuck in a geforce3. but with all the great video cards outthere you may want to look at ati9000 pro or geforce4 titanium. Or you can do as i am and that is wait and see what the summer announcement will be. I for one am expecting 970 machines to be released. If money is an object do the upgrade. and you will get a l3 on those cards. If money isnt an object and you are patient wait for the 970.also more memory can never hurt!
  7. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a


    Apr 16, 2002
    The programs you want to use. You will not see much of a difference.
  8. timbloom macrumors 6502a


    Jan 19, 2002
    with a 733 processor, I would wait another upgrade cycle. You may have had that machine for a while, but it is a sturdy system that still performs well. Don't jump the gun and buy something before it is reasonable to upgrade.

Share This Page