Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Which Macbook Pro 13" 2020

Cookie18

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
France
I'd go for the latest chip with 16GB and the way you use your. computers it will last you for years. Cashvill2 2400 got a great deal on an open box. There is all sorts of good and useful discussion and argument here, but the lines that makes me laugh are the one that says XYZ is "definitely" coming out in ______ (fill in the blank). If anything were ever definite with Apple there would be many fewer people addicted to MacRumors and other future oriented Apple websites. Usually we don't know anything definite until a few weeks, days, sometimes hours before. And that's when there isn't a pandemic wreaking havoc on the world's supply chains. Forget definite. Buy what you need now, enjoy it tomorrow and the next day, and let the future comes when it does and how it does.

While the spirit of what you're saying is true you're acting like Apple didn't announce in June that they are releasing ARM Macs this year. It's not even a rumour, it's straight from the horses mouth. It's also pretty obvious that the computers with 2 year old processors are the most likely to be updated. There's no sense in being wilfully ignorant just for the sake of it.

Comment

ry381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
I'd go for the latest chip with 16GB and the way you use your. computers it will last you for years. Cashvill2 2400 got a great deal on an open box. There is all sorts of good and useful discussion and argument here, but the lines that makes me laugh are the one that says XYZ is "definitely" coming out in ______ (fill in the blank). If anything were ever definite with Apple there would be many fewer people addicted to MacRumors and other future oriented Apple websites. Usually we don't know anything definite until a few weeks, days, sometimes hours before. And that's when there isn't a pandemic wreaking havoc on the world's supply chains. Forget definite. Buy what you need now, enjoy it tomorrow and the next day, and let the future comes when it does and how it does.

Yeah I am not getting drawn into the ARM as there is so much talk whether this will be 2020 or 2021, however I dont want to be one of the first ARM buyers. It does sound great and like you will get a more powerful machine and more RAM etc but I'd still rather hold off until its been around a year or 2.

The whole post really started out with what to get the 8th Gen which will be fine for me, or push to the 10th gen as I'll prob get more time out of this.

I am tempted by the £1650 one, just due to the extra ports, double Fan, newer chip. It is a lot of money for what I need, but again may look a official refurb in that spec to save a few £s.

Comment

ry381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
I purchased this one today on an opened box sale from Best Buy.
View attachment 945331 I don’t care much about ARM and if I change my mind in the future, for this price, I am pretty sure I can get most of my money back. I have learned Apple definitely holds their valve and with them it is better to not buy the entry level one. I would have preferred silver, but I can deal with it for this price. It will be a cool switch up from always having the silver. I can’t wait to get it!

Great deal. I had a look on official refurb but nothing on the 10th Gen, will keep an eye out

Comment

benjai

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2009
It is a tough choice. I picked up the 10th gen one a couple of weeks ago for £1375 which I thought was already quite pricey. It is really good but I think £1650 is far too much. That said, the 8th gen ones also seem like a rip off given how much better the 10th gen ones are with double ram and ssd. So perhaps wait for a little for a deal or refurbished if possible...

Oh the extra ports are really good. I use mainly in clamshell and on my MBA one port is already taken up by the charger. 2 ports is really not enough.

Comment

JamesGoodman

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2015
While the spirit of what you're saying is true you're acting like Apple didn't announce in June that they are releasing ARM Macs this year. It's not even a rumour, it's straight from the horses mouth. It's also pretty obvious that the computers with 2 year old processors are the most likely to be updated. There's no sense in being wilfully ignorant just for the sake of it.

You are right, especially at this moment in our lives: No sense in being willfully ignorant.

I have scoured the predictions, however, and all I see is Apple saying that they will release ARM Macs late this year or early next (though not saying exactly which MACs will see the new processors first). I also see two trusted sources saying they expect a 14 inch next year and possibly a new 13.3 by the end of this year. Possibly. That's a thin thread to base a buying decision on if you need a new laptop now, which is probably why the buying recommendation for the MacBook Pro is buy now. If the one you have works for you just fine, you should wait. I would. But if you need one now, that's a whole other matter.

Comment

JamesGoodman

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2015
Yeah I am not getting drawn into the ARM as there is so much talk whether this will be 2020 or 2021, however I dont want to be one of the first ARM buyers. It does sound great and like you will get a more powerful machine and more RAM etc but I'd still rather hold off until its been around a year or 2.

The whole post really started out with what to get the 8th Gen which will be fine for me, or push to the 10th gen as I'll prob get more time out of this.

I am tempted by the £1650 one, just due to the extra ports, double Fan, newer chip. It is a lot of money for what I need, but again may look a official refurb in that spec to save a few £s.

I had the same decision and went with the splurge for the newer chip. It is a small thing but it has been big for me: the convenience of the ports on both sides.

Comment

ry381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
I see Very offers 10% off new customers on electrical cant see anywhere that apple is exempt so might register and give it a go, no doubt there will be a catch but will bring the 1650 down by 10%.

I do agree 1650 is expensive, 8th Gen will do but its basically just 2019 in a new case and better keyboard.

Comment

ry381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
Also seems to be the below to get 10% back if already got an account, choose this then pay it off basically in one go asap.

Or am I missing something :p is this just a credit on account to use rather than off the cost? Anyone used this?

• 1. 10% back on selected computing items £349 or more with 9 months Buy Now Pay Later. All eligible products are contained within the offer page, access via shop now. (Offer not valid if you choose 6 or 12 months Buy Now Pay later).
  • 2. By entering Q4RG4 in the promo code box at checkout your item will be put on 9 months Buy Now Pay Later automatically. We'll then credit 10% of the item price back to your account by 1st October 2020 or the dispatch date, whichever is later. We'll email you when we have applied the credit to your account.
Order must be placed online. If you return your item, the credit will be reversed. This can't be used in conjunction with other offers (entering any other promo code apart from Q4RG4 in checkout will exclude you from this promotion). Offer live 6th - 20th August 2020.

What is Buy Now Pay Later?
Buy Now Pay Later is an interest-bearing option that allows you to delay payments on your purchases for 9 months. The delayed payment period starts from the date of order (including pre-ordered items and those not ready for immediate dispatch). Buy Now Pay later is subject to eligibility.

How is interest calculated?
Interest is calculated daily from date of order, compounded every 28 days and added to your account as a lump sum at the end of the delayed payment period. This means you will pay interest on interest. Your interest will be detailed in checkout.

How to avoid paying interest?
You can avoid all of the interest by paying the cash price before the end of the delayed payment period, this can be done in one full payment or multiple partial payments.

Making partial payments without clearing the cash price in full will reduce the lump sum of compound interest charged at the end of the delayed payment period.

Remember if you choose not to pay the cash price before the end of the delayed payment period, any outstanding balance plus a lump sum of compound interest will be charged to your Very account.

How do I make a Buy Now Pay Later payment?

To make a full or partial payment simply log into My Account, choose "Make a payment", select "Pay Buy Now Pay Later" and allocate your payment to the specific Buy Now Pay Later you wish to pay off. Alternatively, you can call us.

What happens after the delayed payment period?
If you have not paid the cash price in full or have only made a partial payment, a lump sum of interest will be charged to your Very account. Any outstanding balance plus the interest will now become payable on your account.

As the outstanding balance, plus the interest now form part of your payable balance they will attract interest at your account rate, meaning you will pay interest on interest. This will be included within your account minimum payment request every 28 days and cannot be repaid using Take 3.

If you have paid the cash price in full before the end of the delayed payment period, you will not pay any interest.

What is excluded from Buy Now Pay Later?
The costs for delivery, installation services and any warranty and insurance products cannot be placed on Buy Now Pay Later. Buy Now Pay Later availability is subject to your credit and account status.

Do I still have to pay my minimum payment?
Yes, allocating payments to Buy Now Pay Later will not cover the minimum payment for your Very account. If you have a non-Buy Now Pay Later balance on your Very account, you will still need to make at least your minimum payment as shown on your statement.

Comment

Cookie18

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
France
Also seems to be the below to get 10% back if already got an account, choose this then pay it off basically in one go asap.

Or am I missing something :p is this just a credit on account to use rather than off the cost? Anyone used this?

• 1. 10% back on selected computing items £349 or more with 9 months Buy Now Pay Later. All eligible products are contained within the offer page, access via shop now. (Offer not valid if you choose 6 or 12 months Buy Now Pay later).
  • 2. By entering Q4RG4 in the promo code box at checkout your item will be put on 9 months Buy Now Pay Later automatically. We'll then credit 10% of the item price back to your account by 1st October 2020 or the dispatch date, whichever is later. We'll email you when we have applied the credit to your account.
Order must be placed online. If you return your item, the credit will be reversed. This can't be used in conjunction with other offers (entering any other promo code apart from Q4RG4 in checkout will exclude you from this promotion). Offer live 6th - 20th August 2020.

What is Buy Now Pay Later?
Buy Now Pay Later is an interest-bearing option that allows you to delay payments on your purchases for 9 months. The delayed payment period starts from the date of order (including pre-ordered items and those not ready for immediate dispatch). Buy Now Pay later is subject to eligibility.

How is interest calculated?
Interest is calculated daily from date of order, compounded every 28 days and added to your account as a lump sum at the end of the delayed payment period. This means you will pay interest on interest. Your interest will be detailed in checkout.

How to avoid paying interest?
You can avoid all of the interest by paying the cash price before the end of the delayed payment period, this can be done in one full payment or multiple partial payments.

Making partial payments without clearing the cash price in full will reduce the lump sum of compound interest charged at the end of the delayed payment period.

Remember if you choose not to pay the cash price before the end of the delayed payment period, any outstanding balance plus a lump sum of compound interest will be charged to your Very account.

How do I make a Buy Now Pay Later payment?

To make a full or partial payment simply log into My Account, choose "Make a payment", select "Pay Buy Now Pay Later" and allocate your payment to the specific Buy Now Pay Later you wish to pay off. Alternatively, you can call us.

What happens after the delayed payment period?
If you have not paid the cash price in full or have only made a partial payment, a lump sum of interest will be charged to your Very account. Any outstanding balance plus the interest will now become payable on your account.

As the outstanding balance, plus the interest now form part of your payable balance they will attract interest at your account rate, meaning you will pay interest on interest. This will be included within your account minimum payment request every 28 days and cannot be repaid using Take 3.

If you have paid the cash price in full before the end of the delayed payment period, you will not pay any interest.

What is excluded from Buy Now Pay Later?
The costs for delivery, installation services and any warranty and insurance products cannot be placed on Buy Now Pay Later. Buy Now Pay Later availability is subject to your credit and account status.

Do I still have to pay my minimum payment?
Yes, allocating payments to Buy Now Pay Later will not cover the minimum payment for your Very account. If you have a non-Buy Now Pay Later balance on your Very account, you will still need to make at least your minimum payment as shown on your statement.

It’s a common way to buy them and a good deal so long as you pay it off within the time frame.

Comment

ry381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
Anyone know if its a credit on very account to use at very or taken off your purchase? Do want a credit to use online want the credit off the 1650

I would be paying this off as soon as the credit is applied.

Comment

ry381

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2017
Went for the 10th Gen 512GB 16GB for 1485 in silver, no space grey in stock so decision made on that.

Thanks for all the comments on the thread 👍

Reactions: Cookie18
Comment

rich32gb5s

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2013
Berkshire
I picked up the same £1375 deal and think its an awesome deal considering Apple products hold their resale value so well. Its a free laptop for at least 6 months or more. I also took amazon up on the 5 month payback option

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.