Which Macbook Pro, if any, should I get so I can also play games on the go?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dabisu, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Dabisu macrumors member

Currently, I have an iMac. I believe it's the first one to use an intel processor. It has a 2ghz processor, 2 gigs of ram, and a Radeon X1600 with 256mb memory. I'm pretty happy with this machine and I still use it, but it's time I get a laptop. Currently, the only game I really play is Team Fortress 2. If I go to a friends house or anything, I think being able to play games whenever is a pretty big plus.

The game runs fine, although I would like to be able to get some higher settings on the game. I would think the new Macbook Pros would run it much faster, except the 9600m GT only clocks at 120hz. I do not know much about memory cards so I was wondering if getting any of the Macbook Pros would be a significant step up. Otherwise, I think I would just get a netbook and maybe build another PC, although I really love OS X.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Well, even the 9600M GT is faster than the Radeon X1600 by a wide margin.

If you were going to get any of the new second-gen Unibody MBPs to use for gaming, you'd want the middle or high-end 15" model or the 17" model to get the dedicated GPU. The rest of them use the 9400M chipset only (shared graphics memory).