Which Macbook to choose?

nkbish0p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Hi guys. I am currently using an Early 2008 Macbook which I purchased before going to University. It's now reaching the stage where I feel it's about time for a replacement and I am stuck deciding on which of the following to replace it with

1) 128gb 13" Macbook Air (Base 13" model)
2) 13" Macbook Pro without Retina Display

I have a decent Windows desktop which I can using for gaming etc. so use of the laptop will be mostly a mix of

- Browsing internet/checking email (other generic stuff)
- Light usage of microsoft office (I have a work laptop for most of this)
- Some photo processing
- Streaming Sports in HD over WiFi
- Playback (and storage) of HD movies (downloads)

I would want to keep the laptop for a minimum of 5 years (as I have with my current Macbook) without performance degrading to the extent that it would be insufficient to perform the above to an adequate standard.

I wouldn't need to carry the laptop around on a daily basis so weight isn't a huge concern.

Please let me know which option you think would be most suited to my needs! :)

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Personally, I think 128GB may be a bit too constraining for most uses, if you plan to have it for 5 years.

nkbish0p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
That favours the Pro then I suppose... Though not ideal I do have a fair few external HDDs

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Go with the Air and use external HDD if needed. So much faster, snappier and more convenient than the old MBP with HDD ...
No offense, but I just don't like that solution. I've seen that offered a number of times and the problem I have with it (I know its probably just me) is the need to include a second piece of equipment when I travel.

I opted for the rMBP with a 256GB drive, so I wouldn't have to deal with including an external drive.

For others it no big deal, but its not my cup of tea

nkbish0p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Best solution would be the Pro with the 256g SSD I suppose. Unfortunately for £320!!!!!!!:confused: extra that just isn't an option

Edit: That being said the retina MPB (with equivalent drive) would actually be cheaper than this oddly enough

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.