Which mobile phone to buy? LG Chocolate BL40 or Sony Ericsson AINO?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Esulatell, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Esulatell macrumors member

I have a budget of around £500, luckily both of these phones are under £500.
    The BL40 would be great for all of my media and staying connected (push email etc) but the AINO provides PS3 connectivity and a better camera.
    Here are the specs of each for reference:

LG Chocolate BL40: http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=187661
    Sony Ericsson AINO: http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=183223

I'm not in the market for a full feature smartphone, eg iPhone or Blackberry.
    So please MR! Help me decide :p

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I would go for the chocolate only if the on screen keyboard is good. Both of these phones have a very iPhone-like looking OS/look to them. :rolleyes:

3. Esulatell thread starter macrumors member

I read a couple of reviews and it said the on screen keyboard was good, only if you flip it horizontally though, but the phone is extremely long, uncomfortable for writing long text messages / emails on :/
    But hey, its an iPhone, consumer phones want to be one, consumers just want one.

4. ajthomason macrumors 6502

Now... I know you were asking for opinions on the two phones that you listed, and I know it can get annoying with people throwing in other suggestions, so feel free to ignore this post!

But... Have you thought about the Samsung Galaxy (It runs Android, so is technically a smart phone, but it'll also be good and easy to use): http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/...ocked-5-0-Megapixel-Mobile-Phone/Product.html

5. Esulatell thread starter macrumors member

Other suggestions are always welcome :)
    Well I did have a HTC Magic, that really showed off Android I loved it! But unfortunately it was stolen :/ Its still in my sig though :p
    However a SIM free Magic or Hero are cheaper, are they as good? I have had pretty dire experiences with Samsung phones in the past though :/

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Go for the Sony Ericsson. I've found all their phones just to be better value for money, you're getting an extra 3.1 megapixels on your camera, and they generally have more/better features than similar phones of the same price.

7. Esulatell thread starter macrumors member

It does have a great camera and PS3 connectivity but does it have a decent web browser? :/

8. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I've had both LG and Sony Ericsson phones in the past. I've always loved my Sony Ericsson phones. They are experienced in the mobile phone market and the hardware and software was top notch (for the time).

LG are relatively new in comparison. The last phone I had was the LG Viewty and I hated it with a passion. It was fine for a few weeks, but then all of the little software niggles really started to get to me. It would often discard text messages as I was writing them, the browser was slow and horrible, I couldn't receive more than 300 emails (and it always retrieved the 300 oldest mails!), the list continues. I would never buy an LG phone again (at least not for a while). I would go with the Sony.

9. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

For the price you're better off getting the 3GS IMO but hey your choice.

I say get the Sony Ericsson, but really both SE and LG have bad reputations at the moment for build quality and generally making good phones.

TBH both of these phones are just iPhone knock-offs anyway.

10. Esulatell thread starter macrumors member

A mobile phone thread just isn't a mobile phone thread without one of you guys. Notice how I said "I'm not in the market for a full feature smartphone, eg IPHONE or BlackBerry.

11. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

I know that, but I just added my opinion, because if you're spending £500 you might as well get a full featured smartphone.

As I said though, it's your choice.