Which model computer should I recommend to my friend who runs a million dollar business?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

I have a buddy who knows I'm really into Macs and he asked me which laptop he should buy.

He's mainly using it for work. I know he runs a pretty successful business.

I was thinking of just telling him the 2019 15" model with 8-cores and 512GB SSD?

I might suggest he upgrade to 1TB of storage if he's willing to order online and the store doesn't have it

2. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

Sounds like a decent choice.
    Depending on his tasks he might like a large desktop screen and keyboard/mouse. Helpful for spreadsheets.

3. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

How can he run a million dollar business and not know what a consultant does? The correct approach would be to identify his needs and then spec it out accordingly.

Or yeah, just throw money at Apple since Tim could always do with a new car and your buddy won't miss it. :)

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

It doesn't matter if it's a Billion dollar business or a non-profit. The size of the business has nothing to do with the needs of the user.

Maybe he is just emailing with the computer, have him buy an iPad.

5. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

Tell him what you think is best for him based on your relationship and your common interests - maybe you share other interests like music - photography, videos, fitness etc that make a difference in your relationship ?

If it is strictly business I am sure he has suggestions from the IT team - but if it for some area you share personally - well that might be a different issue?

6. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

What is your friend doing with this computer? Does he have any custom software that needs Windows? You should start with the needs first, before choosing the tool (which is all a computer is for a business)...

7. DeanLubaki macrumors 6502a

DeanLubaki

He won't be running a million dollar business for long if he always buys the top of the line products that he doesn't actually need.
    We need to know what he's going to do with it to help you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

I was thinking the same thing. Might suggest the 27" 5K iMac or maybe even the iMac Pro but not sure if heeds THAT much horse power

9. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Well my thinking was he would be need a big screen if he's doing anything really important like that, if not high specs.

But at a minimum more screen real estate would be useful for him.

If he was just sending emails I'm sure he's smart enough to know to buy an iPad...

10. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

I don't think you can all McKinsey and Co. to ask what laptop you should buy, but what do I know? Maybe you can?

11. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Should have been more specific. A consultant who understand this guy’s business and can advise him on hardware. Not just any consultant. A consultant who works with deer population surveys wouldn’t be good either. Neither would a consultant who studies city traffic patterns. Apologies for not being clearer. :)

12. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Ohh ok yeah well idk he just knows I like Mac a lot so thought maybe I could give an opinion

13. Jimgpayne macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, that is the *absolute worst* reason for you to give your opinion.

If you had a real good understanding of what he really needs, you wouldn't be asking these questions here.

Your earlier comments about getting him a 5K iMac or maybe even a iMac Pro, clearly show that you aren't qualified to be making computer recommendations to a million dollar business.

Have him ask his accountant. That's probably the best advice you can give.

14. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

What would make an accountant, who may use Windows his whole life with no knowledge of Mac, more qualified to recommend which Mac is good over someone who is really into Macs but not an accountant?

15. ericwn macrumors 68030

Because the accountant might at least have a glimpse of an idea of what the guy’s needs are which you seem to not have a clue about.

You are tryptophan get a computer purchase recommendation with one irrelevant piece of user information: he/she runs a company.

A Compton’s a tool. Figure out the tasks it will have to do and go from there. All you are talking about so far is bling.

16. Micky Do, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019

Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Get the one that looks pristine, without the slightest blemish (return it if there is the slightest scratch) and will stay pristine. If you have any Wall Street acquaintances, they will surely be able to offer appropriate advice.

17. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

To make any recommendations. You not only need to know what his business needs are but what his needs for his role in the business are. For example, someone working in the office has different needs than someone who does a lot of travel and presentations.

It could be that he needs a laptop. It could also be he needs a desktop with three screens. It may need to be Windows based. It may need a fast CPU or GPU.

For business use preference is secondary to need. It needs to fulfill the job requirements well. Once you know what will do the job. Then you can use the wiggle room within those constraints for the most palatable option.

18. dwig macrumors 6502a

Foolish thoughts as you have the cart before the horse.

Forget about what computer to get until you have completely worked out what chores need to be done with the computer and then what software is needed to do the chores. Then, and only then, can you begin to search for the computer that best runs the needed software.

19. kp98077 macrumors 6502a

kp98077

20. pshufd macrumors 65816

21. jerwin macrumors 68020

22. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

23. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Is the screen on the 2019 15” MacBook Pro better than the 2019 13” model or MacBook Air or MacBook?

24. pshufd macrumors 65816

I recall the stats back 15 years ago that it was 1 in 140 households.

25. kp98077 macrumors 6502a

kp98077

he sounds like a really “picky” millionaire! Usually millionaires, have some idea of what they want, they are driven, decisive, etc. I would think he would know the screen difference between a 13 and 15 pro!