Which model iPhone should I get?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 999blb, Jul 21, 2012.

1. 999blb macrumors member

So, I was planning on getting an AT&T iPhone off eBay. I wanted to use Straight Talk on it, so I could save money in the long run, rather than get a contract. Now, I'm unsure which model of it I should get. I'd like to be able to use iOS 6, so an iPhone 3GS/4/4S would be my options. I'm willing to spend around $400 on the phone. What would be the best option for my price range? I was going to probably use it for 2 or 3 years then I'd upgrade to a new phone.

Thanks everyone.

2. SamFisher macrumors member

iPhone 3GS is on its way out, chances are it won't get iOS 7
    I'm using an iPhone 4, which is still a brill phone. However if you want a higher capacity, then an iPhone 4s may be a better choice...

3. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

If you want to keep the phone for two to three years I'd would do this:

1) Get the iPhone 4S right now
    2) Wait for two months and get the next-generation iPhone ("iPhone 5")
    3) Wait for two months and get the iPhone 4S (for the same price as the iPhone 4 right now).

I wouldn't get the iPhone 3GS because it's getting slow and iOS 6 will probably be the last iOS for the iPhone 3GS.

The iPhone 4 would be just about sufficient, but you want to keep the phone for two to three years. The iPhone 4 has got a single-core processor and the same GPU as the 3GS. The iPhone 4 only does 720p video recording, while the 4S does 1080p with video stabilisation. The iPhone 4 only does 5 megapixel photos, the iPhone 4S 8 megapixel (and the 4S has better lenses and filters).

The iPhone 4S is much more powerful than the iPhone 4 and thus will get much better iOS software support (and any app will run better on the iPhone 4S compared to the iPhone 4).

If you are in need of an iPhone right now, I would definitely get the iPhone 4S. If you can wait for two months, than I would wait and get the "iPhone 5" (which will get the exact same pricing as the iPhone 4S). You could also wait for two months and get an iPhone 4S as soon as the iPhone 5 is announced. The iPhone 4S will get a nice price drop.

4. 999blb thread starter macrumors member

I got an iPhone 4S 16GB, even though I really wanted the 32GB one. It was for such a deal, though. It's basically new, and I got it for $350. That's a steal, comparing it to the used ones going for $400 and above. I can't wait for it to arrive :D