Which monitor and video card would you use?

Dkaff547

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
Central California, USA
Hello All,

I would like some opinions on a little 1st world problem that I’m dealing with. I bought a mid-2010 Mac Pro (5,1 with 16 GB of Ram and a single cpu) along with a 27” Apple Cinema Display for $200. I know that it’s old and all, but I really love it. I wanted to upgrade to Mojave so I purchased the least expensive GPU I could find (MSI GeForce GT 710 2GB) for $50. I installed it and realized that it would be very difficult to find an adapter to use with my cinema display, so I hooked it up to a 32” LG UltraGear 32” QHD Gaming Monitor. I spent a week or so trying to figure out how to make the GT 710 work with the cinema display and ended up getting a Radeon RX 580 GTS with 8gb of RAM. My dilemma is this: Do I stick with the Apple Display because it seems more aesthetically pleasing or do I use the 32” gaming monitor. I’m pretty sure that the new monitor out specs the Apple Cinema Display, but it really is a beautiful display. Any thoughts? The GT 710 really did seem like it worked well. Maybe the RX 580is just overkill, but it allows me to use the cinema display. Oh, the LG monitor is capable of 2560 X 1440 and the Cinema Display is capable of the same, 2560 X 1440. I noticed that the LG monitor has more options in between though, and the optimal display setting seems a bit larger, which is a little easier on the eyes. The cinema display though has a nice, glossy screen. How does one decide?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.