Which MP3 player do you use

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
In a related question, does anyone know of any decent OS X MP3 players that don't totally suck at CPU usage? Audion and iTunes are both CPU hogs with no Altivec support (at least not for playback), and Soundjam is discontinued. The most efficient player I've come across is mpegToaster, which supports Altivec but is almost completely devoid of features aside from play/stop/seek.

Alex

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Before iTunes

I was using SoundJam or Audion. But I refused to pay for features that I heard would be available for iTunes 2 for free.

So I switched!

I now use iTunes and the Perfect Pod.

Bill Gates: All you need to upload pictures from your camera is a fast PC and some boring software.

KC: Well I have a Mac, and the software I use operates in OS 10. Does that make me better than you?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by krossfyter (who seems to be experiencing some colorblindness...)
Interesting side note:

King Cobra would love one of these new pink iPods to listen to his music with... (shows picture of pink iPod)
Easy big guy. I replied to that picture in one of your other posts. And I said:

Easy, big guy.

Originally posted by Yours Truly... I bring my iPod to class and do work while I listen to it. What are people going to think if I brought a pink iPod into the building? [/i]

You know, Captain kross-Photoshop, I am not one of those guys who explodes to insults like spikey. I just stay cool about it.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Respect

I see you also made an insult about a pink iPod in Hardware Rumors, and I replied. I will delete that.

So we agree. The 5GB (soon to be updated to 10GB) white iPod is the PERFECT mp3 handheld.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Used to be soundjam, now I only use iTunes. I only have OSX on my computer, no 9.x at all, not even classic mode.

I also have an iPod which is another reason to use iTunes :D

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Though I usually resist the Microsoftian impulse to use whatever is pre-installed, I really do like iTunes better than the other ones I have tried. Mostly because it's intuitive and while I insist on having music in the background while I'm work, I am not an audiophile, and iTunes lets me walk in in morning, plug in the iPod and hit two buttons. (Playlist-of-the-day, and Play) don't have to think about it again for 10-12 hours.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by eyelikeart
iTunes...

can u believe a few year's ago I actually had to buy MacCast? :rolleyes:
I'm in the same boat with you, eyelikeart.

I paid for that dumb thing, and practically all they did to update it was change the name from MacAMP to MacAST! And that was before SoundJam really took off... and then along comes Apple giving us iTunes. At least I didn't make the mistake of paying for MacAMP AND SoundJam... :) And my apologies go out to anyone here who did.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
iTunes

I use iTunes. I also hide it to reduce CPU usage.

Great app. It would be nice if it had AltiVec support though...

Matthew

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Re: AltiVec

iTunes does support the G4 Velocity Engine (which I think is AltiVec). To use it just convert a song to and from mp3 format. You need a G4, which I assume almost everyone has.

If I am wrong, make a note of it.

Bill Gates: All you need to upload pictures from your camera is a fast PC and some boring software.

KC: Well I have a Mac, and the software I use operates in OS X. Does that make me better than you?

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
i used soundjam and still do... ok so its got a different name now, but its only gotten better since apple bought it.

iTunes.

(shouldnt there be a poll or something on a thread like this?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.