which new 27 imac will lose less $ of worth in the next 5 years?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kopernikus, Jun 20, 2017.

1. kopernikus macrumors newbie

hi!

i'm getting a 27 imac with ssd.

however: if it's the 4,2 i7 or the 3,4 i5 i don't care. (will be using it mainly for audio production without lots of plugins).

so i was thinking: if i'd ever need/want to sell it, which one loses more $ in worth in the next years? (seeing it more as an investement)

should i get the most basic 27 or the totally maxed out version? (capital is there)

thank you!

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I would say non-SSD will probably lose the most value.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Almost impossible to say. Most can't even guarantee how much they'll weigh in 5 years and that's something they have exclusive control over...

Certainly the i7 is a big jump over the i5. RAM is inconsequential as that's upgradable on the 27". SSD is a must for longevity and resell IMO, especially in an iMac.

So if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the best specs you can afford, minus the RAM.

4. trsblader macrumors 6502

From my experience they usually lose value at the same rate. So whichever computer costs more to build from Apple, in 5 years it'll have more resale but it's not like it will hold 90% of its value while other models lose 70% of their value. There may be some cases, such as a 256gb ssd in 5 years might not hold as much value compared to the same model with a 512 or 1gb ssd, but I think those cases are fairly limited. In my experience, most people looking to buy a 5 year old computer are going to look at the specs, see what it was new, and then determine what percentage of the original value they'll pay for it. I don't think many people go looking for a 5 year old computer and then get picky about things spec wise to deduct from the cost.

EDIT: In my area, 5-6 year old computers are going for 400 (base model) all the way up through 900-1000 for a fully maxed out. So both computers lose about 75% despite their performance differences.

5. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

The higher the specs, the more it'll be worth.

But, as for which one will lose the least percentage of its value (as in recouping the money you invested), they'll likely lose approximately the same percentage of your invested dollars.

But, the lower end model will naturally sell for less.

Never look at computers as a financial investment. It's not going to get you much of your invested money back after a few years.

The only way computers make sense as a financial investment, is when they serve to make you money by performing a task that generates money (or a task which minimizes loss of money).

6. Quash macrumors regular

The base model will get you the most of your money back after 5 years.
    You are better of keeping that upgrade money in your bank account.
    People who buy 5 year old computers don't care about specs.
    They just want to buy a pretty iMac.

Computers are a bad investments but computer upgrades are even worse ;)
    If you don't need the extra power yourself don't buy it.
    A 2000$ imac in 2017 will get you back maybe around 1000$ in 5 years. A 3000$ imac will get you back maybe 200$ more if you are lucky. Never any more because otherwise that person might as well buy a 2022 iMac.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

After 5 years, they're ALL going to lose significant value.

Just buy what you like and want NOW and use it.

Worry about what happens in 2022 when it gets here… ;)