Which new iMac will run Guild Wars 2 and other games well, at a good price?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jawn12, Oct 23, 2012.

1. jawn12 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I'm currently stuck between deciding what new iMac model I'd like to get. I want it to be able to run games like Guild Wars 2 at a solid framerate with high settings, but I also don't want to shell out my entire life savings for the most top-end options if I don't have to.

At first I thought of getting the highest end option on the 21", but then I read that the 27" has better GPU and CPU options. This confuses me though, because I thought the increased computational power directed at the increased display resolution on the 27" ends up evening it out with the 21"? Or is the 27" really more preferable?

Either way, I'd like something with a nice kick, but not too expensive. Any and all input would be appreciated. I've never owned an iMac before, so I appreciate it!

2. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

You're looking at wrong computer. iMacs are not game machines and now they're not certainly such a good value.
    27 inch iMacs have better GPU and I think it should run GW2 ok.

I still think that for gaming, it's cheaper to build a PC tower (with at least 16GB RAM, SSD, GTX 650 Ti) that will be more powerful than iMac, of course it will not be All-In-One and you will spend some money on display too - but in the end it will still be cheaper when compared to loaded iMac.

If I wanted to game, I would get Xbox 360 - it's very cheap now, plenty of games that still look great, already have a TV to connect it to.

I think you could get one of those 27" Ultrasharp matte displays from Dell that are basically the same thing as in iMacs, you can then get middle Mac mini (quad i7) for your computing needs. Xbox 360 can be plugged in to this monitor as well via HDMI. This combination will set you a little less than base 27 inch iMac and it will be more flexible - you'll have native OS X and Xbox for gaming.

EDIT: I just looked up the prices and many shops have discounts for both Xbox and Ultrasharp displays. With Mac mini on top it comes of 30% cheaper than base 27" iMac, including shipping and taxes.

3. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

A custom made fat and ugly pc

4. jawn12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses all, but with all respect I wasn't asking for alternative options to the iMac or other purchase recommendations. I am simply asking about what I've said in the contents of my original post, specific to the iMac itself :) Thanks for your understanding, and please keep the responses coming, as no one has directly answered my question yet.

5. Ryan.Tanner macrumors regular

I don't get it... when will people understand that there are gamers out there that despise Windows. I agree with the OP. I play games, but I play around in Adobe CS6. I love OS X and the way it flows and navigates. With OS X, I require 1 monitor because the OS is slick in navigation. With Windows, I need 2 monitors because the OS sucks balls with navigation, and no trackpad gestures.

Just because we are gamers, doesn't mean we like or even want to use Windows. That **** (windows) sucks donkey balls.

6. element1108 macrumors member

Understandable, but when the original post is game centered...it gives off the impression the imac is to be used strictly as a gaming platform. In that case it's warranted you get the PC response.

When you talk about breaking the bank and FPS for games and nothing else...WINDOWS is your logical response.

I'd consider the new imacs alright gaming machines, I wouldn't expect to run the latest games on full native rez highest settings. Lower expectations a bit and you can't go wrong. It is OS after all ;) and that makes up with the slightly lower resolution or details settings of any games.

7. Pressure, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The high-end iMac will have the Geforce GTX 680MX as an optional upgrade, which is a lower-clocked desktop Geforce GTX 680 :)

8. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

Well the OP also said not too expensive.. So I guess it depends on where you draw the line. For me, entry level 27 iMac is expensive so if I really had to have iMac for gaming, I'd either get last gen top-end 27" iMac in refurb store, or high end 21.5". Both should play Guild Wars 2 fine with some graphic detail tuning.

I thought people who insist on playing games on Macs usually end up installing Windows anyway, not that many games on OS X (but it's getting better).