Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I'm looking at a used mid-2015 2.5GHz dual graphics. The advantages would be connectivity with legacy peripherals. Use will be for Photoshop, digital photography apps, web research. Should I get a new 2017 and some adapters or go with the 2015 and save some bucks but get better ports? I've heard the 2015 could be convenient.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I'm looking at a used mid-2015 2.5GHz dual graphics. The advantages would be connectivity with legacy peripherals. Use will be for Photoshop, digital photography apps, web research. Should I get a new 2017 and some adapters or go with the 2015 and save some bucks but get better ports? I've heard the 2015 could be convenient.

Entirely up to you, either will be more than capable of doing what you want. The ports on the 2015 are fixed, the 2017 can be whatever you need. I've got power, HDMI, USB-A, USB-Bss, USB-B, SD, and all sorts, all from the same port. I think you can use the TB2 port to adapt to some things on the 2015, but nowhere near the flexibility of ports with USB-C.

2017 plus a $50 hub will give you many more ports than what's offered on the 2015, and gives you modern tech too.

Reactions: macintoshmac

No. 44

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2016
Long gone
[...] Should I get a new 2017 and some adapters or go with the 2015 and save some bucks but get better ports? I've heard the 2015 could be convenient.

I don't know how important a laptop's keyboard is to you, but if you spend much time typing, you may want to compare the keyboards of the two models, before you make a decision.

I actually waited to get the 2016 MBP and then went with the model from 2015 after trying out the new keyboard. To this day, I have never regretted the decision, and the many threads on the Internet about faulty, loud and sticky keys on these new machines only confirm my initial misgivings.

And yes, the better connectivity of the 2015 MBP is also nice. :)

Reactions: macmesser

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I'm a fan of the older machine because of the keyboard and included ports (no dongles required). However, my only concern with purchasing one is that its already 2 year old technology. The processors are 2 generations old. To get maximum longevity before obsolescence, always get the latest.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Entirely up to you, either will be more than capable of doing what you want. The ports on the 2015 are fixed, the 2017 can be whatever you need. I've got power, HDMI, USB-A, USB-Bss, USB-B, SD, and all sorts, all from the same port. I think you can use the TB2 port to adapt to some things on the 2015, but nowhere near the flexibility of ports with USB-C.

2017 plus a $50 hub will give you many more ports than what's offered on the 2015, and gives you modern tech too.

I just embraced the USB-C platform for myself. Only did one thing - replaced all my cables. One time cost, not too much, but like you said, the advantages are enormous. For me, I love it.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I'm a fan of the older machine because of the keyboard and included ports (no dongles required). However, my only concern with purchasing one is that its already 2 year old technology. The processors are 2 generations old. To get maximum longevity before obsolescence, always get the latest.

Thanks for input. I have not been following processor changes but this did occur to me. I am using a used 2009 Mac Pro (great machine) and a used 2011 Mac Mini (also excellent); they both run everything fine so far, with no hardware problems. I'm a little desensitized to this concern as a result but lately I have been wondering for how long my luck will hold. Looking at prices also makes the new one attractive, as they just are not that much more.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
Thanks for input. I have not been following processor changes but this did occur to me. I am using a used 2009 Mac Pro (great machine) and a used 2011 Mac Mini (also excellent); they both run everything fine so far, with no hardware problems. I'm a little desensitized to this concern as a result but lately I have been wondering for how long my luck will hold. Looking at prices also makes the new one attractive, as they just are not that much more.

I'm in a similar situation. I have a new 12.9 iPad Pro, but my computers are a 2010 MacBook Pro and a 2009 Mac Pro, both of which are officially obsolete by Apple. They still work, but they are noticeable slower, especially the MBP.

I was all set to purchase a new MacBook Pro when they came out but then started hearing of all these issues with keys sticking and shims being installed etc. which turned me off of it. Still waiting to see if the 2017s get a reputation of being any better. The MBP I want to order is around $6,000 here in Canada so it's a huge amount of money to put out for something that in my mind is not yet proven to be reliable.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I just embraced the USB-C platform for myself. Only did one thing - replaced all my cables. One time cost, not too much, but like you said, the advantages are enormous. For me, I love it.

Thanks for comments, which have me leaning to the newer technology. Does your new MB Pro have dual graphics? That was one advantage to the older ones which I forgot to mention.
[doublepost=1499878534][/doublepost]
I don't know how important a laptop's keyboard is to you, but if you spend much time typing, you may want to compare the keyboards of the two models, before you make a decision.

I actually waited to get the 2016 MBP and then went with the model from 2015 after trying out the new keyboard. To this day, I have never regretted the decision, and the many threads on the Internet about faulty, loud and sticky keys on these new machines only confirm my initial misgivings.

And yes, the better connectivity of the 2015 MBP is also nice. :)

Thanks for comments. I had not heard about keyboard problems. Looks like a trip to the Apple store is in order, where I can try some out.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
Both are good computers. I think you will like either.

One current plus with the 2015 is that you can find many Thunderbolt 2 docks and enclosures for dirt cheap - my AKiTiO Thunder2 Dock has gone as low as $150, and I've seen TB2 PCIe boxes on sale for under $175. However, USB-C is awesome, and Thunderbolt 3 opens up new possibilities that even Thunderbolt 2 does not. Further & more significantly, the new MBP supports USB 3.1 gen 2, 10 Gbps, where as the 2015 only supports 3.1 gen 1, 5 Gbps. During the life of this system, this will probably become a major plus as many high-resolution displays embrace USB-C & the second gen 3.1 spec, and many external SSD and RAID enclosures will be able to take advantage of the greater bandwidth of gen 2 (that would have historically required TB1/2 [i.e., USB 3.1 gen 2 means super fast external drives without the price premium of involving Thunderbolt].)

• Do you prefer the touch bar or physical function keys?
  • Do you have a keyboard preference?
  • Do you like the larger 2017 or smaller 2015 trackpad?
  • Are better speakers important to you?
  • Do you often use the computer in bright rooms?
  • Do you currently use many legacy devices?
  • Do you see yourself buying many new devices over the next 3-4 years?
  • Do you see yourself using one or more 4k or 5k external display(s) during the life of the computer?
  • Do you see yourself as getting into serious video editing?
  • Is the idea of being able to use one cable to provide power and data to as many accessories as your heart desires something that would be convenient for how you use the system?

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Both are good computers. I think you will like either.

One current plus with the 2015 is that you can find many Thunderbolt 2 docks and enclosures for dirt cheap - my AKiTiO Thunder2 Dock has gone as low as $150, and I've seen TB2 PCIe boxes on sale for under $175. However, USB-C is awesome, and Thunderbolt 3 opens up new possibilities that even Thunderbolt 2 does not. Further & more significantly, the new MBP supports USB 3.1 gen 2, 10 Gbps, where as the 2015 only supports 3.1 gen 1, 5 Gbps. During the life of this system, this will probably become a major plus as many high-resolution displays embrace USB-C & the second gen 3.1 spec, and many external SSD and RAID enclosures will be able to take advantage of the greater bandwidth of gen 2 (that would have historically required TB1/2 [i.e., USB 3.1 gen 2 means super fast external drives without the price premium of involving Thunderbolt].)

• Do you prefer the touch bar or physical function keys?
  • Do you have a keyboard preference?
  • Do you like the larger 2017 or smaller 2015 trackpad?
  • Are better speakers important to you?
  • Do you often use the computer in bright rooms?
  • Do you currently use many legacy devices?
  • Do you see yourself buying many new devices over the next 3-4 years?
  • Do you see yourself using one or more 4k or 5k external display(s) during the life of the computer?
  • Do you see yourself as getting into serious video editing?
  • Is the idea of being able to use one cable to provide power and data to as many accessories as your heart desires something that would be convenient for how you use the system?

Thanks for input. You mentioned lots of things I had not thought about at all. The Macbook Pro will be dedicated mostly to photography. My '09 Mac Pro tower will continue to be my main machine until it can't upgrade the OS. I know we're getting there. Peripherals include Wacom tablet, eSATA enclosure for basically near-line storage, cameras, card readers, external drives, microphone, voice recorder (mostly USB 3). Seems like the choice is between transitioning to a new main computer or augmenting my aging but still usable setup. Fortunately I'm not in a rush.

Reactions: macintoshmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.