Which of the magsafe chargers are ok for the 2011 MBP 13?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danpass, Aug 20, 2011.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

each adapter has the same group of reviews and ratings from what I was able to briefly tell and the descriptions are not very helpful.

how about the cigarette lighter one?

thanks

2. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

For normal charging you will want to get either the 60 watt or 85 watt MagSafe Power Adapters. Either will be able to supply enough power for your Mac and charge the battery. Using the 45 watt adapter will not damage your MBP but it will be unlikely to supply enough power to charge your Mac.

The Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter (cigarette lighter-like one) is specific to DC power ports available on some airlines. It will not fit-in or work-in an automative cigarette lighter port. This adapter only supplies enough power to operate a MBP/MBA/MB but not enough to charge any of these Mac's batteries.

3. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Apple MagSafe 60W or 85W in either the current L or older T style

4. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

ok, thanks.

the 85w said for 15 and 17in MBPs. Is that still ok for 13in or will it be too much/too fast?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It will simply charge faster, nothing else. It won't damage the battery in any way.

6. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Not really.... the power logic circuit on all MBPs only allow charging at a certain rate. However using the 85w one will be less strain on it and not get as warm b/c of less demand.

7. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Which wattage comes with the 13" MBP? I could probably just reach over and unplug it and look, but I'm too lazy to do that! :rolleyes:

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

60w

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

60. you can also use the 85w to charge, and it will charge just the same as if it were a 60w adaptor.

10. randomrazr macrumors 65816

85watt charger bought separately costs 80 bucks XD

11. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

is the 60w charger cheaper?

12. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

So does a 60 watt.

13. R3alsp33dy0ne macrumors newbie

Any idea where I can get a car charger for a MBP 15"? If none are available, what voltage does the airline adaptor use? I could just chop the plug off the end and attach a car cigarette lighter plug.

14. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

First - Apple makes an airline adapter - Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter - that includes a cigar lighter plug for airlines that used it and Apple says it won't work with a car plug. Anecdotal evidence in other posts suggests it works with an Air, so unless there is some weird polarity issue it should at least provide power to the MBP; if it does it probably won't charge but will run the MBP.

Not sure about the airline plug voltage - I think it depends on the airline but most were around 15v DC. Your best bet is probably to buy a DC/AC inverter for the car and plug it into the power plug and the Magsafe into it. Depending on the current draw it may blow a car fuse; but I've used them to power PS2's and TVs in a van.

I've seen car adapters advertised for MB's and MBP's; but with one exception the prices were so low that it's clear the Magsafe is a knock-off. I personally wouldn't trust my expensive MBP to a cheap 30 buck adapter - if it fails wrong it could fry my MBP.

At least with an DC/AC inverter the Magsafe power supply acts as a go between so the worst is you won't get enough juice to charge.

15. R3alsp33dy0ne macrumors newbie

You make a very good point about not wanting to use a dodgy adaptor on an expensive macbook. And I just checked the product description for the airline adaptor, you're right it will power the MBP but not charge it. Which sux because I dont want to use the macbook in the car, just charge it. I wonder if it will charge when the macbook is off but plugged in.

16. VMMan macrumors 6502a

+1 on getting a general use DC/AC converter for the car.

I don't know if it's overkill, but I would spend the extra $200 for a pure sine wave inverter, too.