Which of the these two SSDs should I go with?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by The.316, Oct 28, 2010.

1. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

The company we order stuff from has SSDs available. I ordered a Kingston V-Series V+ one to try out on a MB at work, and it works real well. I was going to order another one for my MBP, but Ive read that Corsair and Intel SSDs are better. Between the:

Corsair Extreme Series 128gb

and

Intel X-25 160gb

Anyone have any opinions/experiences with these? Obviously the Intel is bigger, space wise, than the Crucial, but aside from that, is one that much better than the other? Or should I just go with another Kingston one, and save the 90 euros?

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

The best option for SSDs under OS X are those using the Sandforce controller. Many people recommend the OCZ Vertex 2 series (I have one; it's fantastic). Their biggest benefit is a type of garbage collection / overprovisioning that helps prevent speed degradation over time. OS X does not support TRIM so SSDs will lose speed over time when using with a Mac. To my knowledge, neither of the SSDs you listed use this controller.

3. filfortugno macrumors regular

neither

my experience with corsair is not a good one and the intel drives are way over priced. go with OWC or Crucial much better performance for the money

4. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Ditto!

That's what my research suggests as well.... and this will be the case unless Lion ships with TRIM support.

I went with the OWC one (it also has Sandforce), and prices are VERY competitive right now:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/Mercury_Extreme_SSD_Sandforce/Solid_State_Pro

I hope to have my kit this weekend, so I can install over the weekend :D

5. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Lion better have TRIM support! Now that Apple sells a SSD-only computer, it is more necessary than ever.

I forgot OWC in my initial post. Those are great drives, too. For now, you're best bets are OWC and OCZ Vertex 2.

6. weckart macrumors 68040

The best consumer drives are those with the Sandforce SF-1200 controller. Of those, the OCZ Vertex 2E is the one to go for, particularly the 60GB version.

OCZ has a partnership with Sandforce, which gives it an advantage with regard to firmware functionality and optimisation compared with other Sandforce based drives. Apparently, the OCZ drives are supposed to have almost 30% over provisioning compared with an average of just over half that.

The Corsair SF drives are getting mixed reviews for reliability from what I read.