Which of These Earphones Should I Put Money On?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by anirban, Dec 1, 2007.

1. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Hello all!

I am looking for a set of earphones (in ear ones, not over the head), and I have my eyes on the following ones:

1. Shure SE110 Sound Isolating Earphones
    2. Bose In-Ear Headphones
    3. Bang-Olufsen Headphones (don't remember the exact model, but saw in Apple Store) Retails for ~$150.

So which one out of these would you recommend? If you have any other recommendations, please do let me know! My budget is around ~$150

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: #3: The model of the Bang-Olufsen Headphones that I saw in the Apple store are the A8 ones.

2. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

My vote goes to the Bang-Olufsen Headphones. They have a really sharp, clear sound. They sound amazing.

3. skuzzy macrumors member

This is a tough one. The issue is that all of those manufacturers make really really good systems for home/general use, then decide that they have to create a product line of headphones just because... and they are hardly ever as good as the systems that they made which gave them them the image of great sound.

That said, take a look at Sennheiser. They have always focused on headphones and portable audio. If you don't like them, I would say the Bose. However I can't say that I know anything about the B&O phones. Don't get them here...

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Not too sure about the Bang and Olufson earphones but if your budget is $150, you could push for Shure's SE210s, which scored a B+ on iLounge (who are normally very strict with their reviews).

The Bose earphones faired less well over at iLounge.

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Forget all of them and buy these:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.aspx

Get the ER 4p's if you're using an iPod or a laptop, but there are versions for headphone amps and even an un-equalised version for binaural recordings!

6. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

Err $300 for a pair... Im a poor guy!

7. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I got my Shure SE210's on eBay for $80. Check out the Buy it nows.

8. PseudoWoobie macrumors newbie

I'd definitely vote for the Shures you listed or Etymotics. As others have said, the Shure SE210's are a great option as well. Etymotic makes a model called ER-6i which is a great choice that's relatively inexpensive (around $80), or you could try the ER-4P's if you're looking to spend a bit more.

9. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    Sennheisers. Fit and sound great. Price is very reasonable, and they have a wide range products to suit many applications. Most studio's I have been in are equipped with Sennheiser. There is a good reason for that. They are also quite rugged. There are many great headphones on the market today, but all I am saying is at least you should try Sennheiser before you invest heavily in something you may later regret.

10. palmerized macrumors regular

I have the Bose In-ear Triports. I love them -- clear, rich sound, deep bass. Only gripe with them is the little ear piece comes off all the time. Not in my ear, but in my bag. So I've got used to using the little black travel case that comes with them.

11. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Among the tinniest sound I've ever heard. With second prize going to the more nasal but slightly less tinny (and more practical for regular use) Shure E3c. Going from a decent pair of headphones to these makes thunder and lightning sound like a cymbal monkey. I gave up EQing either for anywhere near a normal sound: These days I use the Shure only for voice and the Etys (S and P) were given the boot a while ago.

Haven't tried any of the newer models but Shure seems like the most thought out of this class of phones for actual, regular use by normal people, not the headphone amp packing nerd-phile contingent.

12. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

Based on the reviews so far, I am leaning towards the Shure 210's.... What do you folks think about that?

I tried to search for reviews on the Bang&Olufsen earphones, but most of the reviews only talk about how good the fit is. I wanted to get an opinion about the sound quality, but very generic info is provided.

What do you suggest? Thanks!

13. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

14. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

I just checked Amazon for the prices, and they are a LOT more reasonable than the prices listed on the Etymotic website.

Amazon Link

So its either the ER-4Ps, or the Shure 210s. What would you choose?

15. pismobrat macrumors regular

My vote would be to go with the M-Audio line of earbuds.

I own the IE-30's and they are beyond what the shures can do, but the ie-30 are probably more than what you want to spend.

Take a look at the link below.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=Earphones

Also read up at ipodlounge.com they have tons of reviews of all types.

16. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

Having experienced all three of the original models you listed, my money would be on the Shure models.

17. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I have heared very good things about those Bose headphones , some of my friends have them. Can't give you a real thrustworthy opinion since I haven't used those headphones.

18. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

I digged a little more deeper in Google, and found a wealth of reviews- and after comparing them all, the Etymotic ER 4P seems to be the most favored one.

If any of you folks have any more advice for me, please do share! If nothing interesting comes up, I will go with the Etymotic ER 4P (retailing for $160).

Thanks a lot!

19. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I think you'll be more than happy with either the Etymotic or the Shure. I'd get whichever you can find for less.

Both are in a whole other league than the overrated Bose and Bang-Olufsen products...

20. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

So I went to a radically different route than what I had initially planned, and purchased a set of Etymotic 4P's from Amazon.com....

I just find it funny how I had never heard of Etymotic before, and was considering something else, but right after it came up in this thread, I looked it up, and the reviews that it received really pushed me to get these.

Hopefully I wont have to ask Amazon for an RMA number after I experience the ER 4Ps ;)

Thanks a lot folks!

21. ace962 macrumors newbie

Dude your an idiot! (in a light hearted way), if you call Bose they will send you a brand new set of "re-designed" tips free of charge! They became aware of the issue about 6 months ago and re-designed the tips so they grip the stem of the headphone better.

These are awesome headphones, the sound quality is second to none! They can be a tiny bit quieter than some headphones but the sound quality totally outweighs that!

22. Heinekev macrumors member

I have the older Shure E2C and E4C headphones, and wouldn't trade them for the world. While I prefer the E2C for most usage, I like that the E4s feel like they're not even there.

So based off my experience, I'd have to recommend Shure. Awesome company.

23. xxstatic macrumors member

I haven't tried the model of Shures you listed but I will say that Shures warranty is second to none.;)

I have the original E-3 c's and had to send them in for repair and they always send a brand new pair no questions asked, my latest pair were over the 2 year warranty window and one of the nozzels tips broke on me so I decided I would send them in and maybe they would replace them for a minimal charge since they were 6 months past the warranty date, to my suprise they sent me a brand new pair of the new version (basically the model # was changed).

I will be buying Shures in the future as my first choice for 2 reasons, first I like the sound, and their warranty service is super, and as we all know things don't always work right the first time but Shure will get it right from my experience.:cool:

24. W. Ademczyk macrumors newbie

Go with Equation RP-21

I've owned Grado sr60s & sr80s, Shure e2cs & e4cs, and most recently Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohms.

Honestly, don't mess with Shures; yeah they have an unbelievable warranty policy (I've have my e4cs replaced twice), but their sound quality is REALLY lacking on the low end. I know, I know, "good seal in the ear canal" yeah it makes a differece on your bass response, but no matter what it isn't as good as a pair of circumaural. The DT770s are miles better than the Shures, which even crackle when bass is heavy enough (electro-house or chamber orcestra no difference).

That being said, Equation's RP-21's are also amazing cans, they have a detachable headphone jack which is awesome in case you want to switch cables. I'm planning on them being my next pair.

Also, the hype is that because Shure's sit so far in your ear, you don't have to turn your volume up as loud thus preserving your hearing. This is bunk, if it sounds louder, it is because the intensity of the sound is greater. If you're at a concert, and you're standing 10 ft. from the speakers, you're ears are going to get messed up. Stand at a distance and you'll avoid some hearing loss. The volume doesn't change. Same is true with IEMs except it's way easier to blast your ears accidentally.

I've got significant hearing loss in my left due to my time with the Shures.

Oh yeah, watch to not get headphones over around 80-100 ohms. Higher impedance make headphones harder to drive. A lot of high end stuff is at around 250 ohms. To use those with your ipod, you'd need an amp which makes things more expensive & unwieldy.

Head-fi.org is a great site, and if I remember correctly Skylab there did a roundup of sub-$150 headphones a few months ago.

25. 173080 macrumors 6502

I have the Bang & Olufsen A8s.

The bass isn't great. The mids and highs are very good.

I would recommend them for the price.