which of these new mac pros is faster for final cut pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by videoed, Aug 9, 2010.

1. videoed macrumors regular

Hi,

considering a new tower and wondering where bang for buck is best.

if the following is correct:

1) Final Cut Pro is a 32bit app
    2) Final Cut Pro can only use X# of cores (not sure what x might be if true)

then am I possibly better off with fewer cores, higher GHz?

which would be faster: 4x@2.8GHz or 8x@2.4GHz ?

2. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

6-Core

Sounds like that will be enough for you. ;)

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

FCP is very core and RAM limited right now, but having more cores and more RAM does allow you to run more applications concurrently with seeing a big slow down in performance. What other apps do you typically use? Also, eventually FCP will be 64-bit (hopefully) so at that point you might go "Dang, I wish I woulda bought a faster machine..."

If you plan on keeping the machine for 4-5yrs get the best you can afford. If you are the type that switches out machines every 2-3 years a more middle-of-the-road tower would probably be a better investment. Another thing to keep in mind is how business are you doing. If you have steady clients that typically have tight deadlines than getting the fastest machine you can will probably pay for itself pretty quick.

Lethal

4. backdraft macrumors 6502

If you are planning on primarily outputting to H264 I would highly recommend the Matrox Compress HD PCIe card

You can really save some money by going with a cheaper Mac Pro, check out this video on the Matrox card

These also do the trick and you can work on an iMac or Macbook Pro:
    MXO2 Family

Another way to cut costs is to buy RAM from a third party, the same applies to monitors and hard drives.

5. videoed thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the responses.

does anyone have an opinion as to which would be faster for running just FCP?

4x@2.8GHz or 8x@2.4GHz

6. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

8 core.
    when you have to send out the final product, it will also be faster.

7. videoed thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the response

How's performance compare while rendering only in FCP?

Does FCP access all 8 cores for rendering and therefore faster

or does FCP limited to core # access equal on the 4core and 8core and
    then therefore the 4core@2.8 is faster than the 8core@2.4 ?

or does the 8core have architecture so that 2.4 is faster than 2.8 ?

8. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

should be a lot

Mind goes about 75% of each core on my 4 core.
    I can't speak for the 8 core machines, but it should be the same.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Strictly speaking for using FCP only I don't think there is going to be a significant difference between the two because FCP is very limited when it comes to accessing multiple cores. If you use Compressor and setup a virtual cluster the 8-core machine will fly by the 4-core machine as long as you have enough RAM (IIRC the rule of thumb is at least 2gig per core). If you are using CS3 or newer AE will take advantage of the extra cores (again, as long as you have enough RAM). If you need to run FCP, AE and Photoshop at the same time while exporting via Compressor and you don't want the machine to bog down get the 8-core.

Assuming you have the budget for a 'nicely equipped' 8-core that's the one I'd recommend to get. It will have a longer lifespan and allow you to do more multi-tasking than the 4-core. But strictly speaking for FCP 7 performance I don't know if the 8-core will offer enough of a performance boost to justify the extra cost. If Apple stays w/it's usual update schedule for FCP though a new version should be announced spring/summer 2011 and if it is the ground up rewrite we all think it needs to be then FCP 8 will most likely get faster w/the more cores you have.

Lethal

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Check out this other MacRumors thread if you haven't already.

Lethal