Which of those books suits me ?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Tex-Twil, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    I would like to get into iPhone development. I want to buy a book but I'm not sure which one suits the best my needs. If I understand correctly the Obejctive C is a requirement for iPhone dev.

I have no experience in Objective C but I have a strong experience in other languages like C/C++, Java

I found those books in this forum:
    Beginning-iPhone-Development-Exploring-SDK

Learn Objective–C on the Mac

Programming in Objective-C

Which one do I need ? Would Beginning-iPhone-Development-Exploring-SDK be enough for me or shall I also get one of the Objective C books ?

Other question, shall I learn the Objective C on mac development 1st or is it ok to start directly with iPhone dev ?

Thanks,
    Tex

2. AndyCodez macrumors regular

If you already have a strong programming knowledge I would skip the objective - c books. You can mostly find what you need on the internet through examples and the iPhone SDK Documentation. I found this book: The book
    to be the most useful with learning iPhone specific coding.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I would suggest reading Stephen Kochan's "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" first (make sure you get the 2nd edition, which even has a intro chapter on iPhone dev). It'll help you become more comfortable with Objective-C. Then dive into "Beginning iPhone 3 Development" which will cover much more of the basics of the iPhone side of things.