Which one is better Sony Vaio Series Z or The Apple MacBook Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dolphin22, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Dolphin22 macrumors newbie

2. magid macrumors 6502

magid

It depends what you need. The air is the uber portable laptop while the z has a little bit more to offer. I have an air, but I really like to design of the z. Just hackintosh it and get the z ;)

3. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

4. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

5. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The Vaio is a better specc'ed computer. On the other hand, after having used both (my professor/supervisor has the Sony), the MacBook looks and feels (?) better in use. The Sony has an optical drive and an ethernet port. Otherwise, I wouldn't care.

Personally, I can't afford NOT to have a DVD drive, and would go for an MBP over any Sony, but I would honestly get the MBA if those were my 2 options, and put up with having an external Superdrive.

7. Dolphin22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, macbook air is very thinner but very huge to carry, where else sony vaio is a sleek & comes with better specs as what Abstract said. Kinda confusing for me for which one to go for or make a decision. :confused:

8. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I have had the dubious pleasure of having a chance to play with both in the last few weeks.

the Z needs more RAM than it comes with just to be usable, the Vista Business Premium is a system hog - with 2gb ram there is only 28mb left once you turn it on with all the built in processes and crap running.
    also it is a pretty awkward to carry computer, heavy for its size so every time I picked it up it threw my wrist off.
    there is a huge price difference too between it and the air. at least when you look at base models.

The air is much better balanced feeling, and the keyboard is nicer. the large screen though makes it alot less portable.
    but it takes falls better than the Vaio Z.
    while the air specs are weaker than the Z, it performs better due to running an OS that actually works.

In the end neither one of the computer met the requirements of the dept.
    though the Acer Aspire One from another budget trial looks promising.
    If I had to choose and spend my own money I would go with the air.

9. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Because Vista has Superfetch which uses normally unused ram to make things open and run faster. Programs can take ram from superfetch whenever they need it. Vista tries to use your idle hardware instead of letting it go to waste doing nothing.

10. yorkslad macrumors regular

Vista arghh!!!....run for the hills :)

Do us all a favour and stick with the mac, you know it makes sense. Its a lovely looking machine, yes it has an optical drive built in and ethernet but really how often in your everyday life do you use these....I think not so.

Get with the program and move on, Apple will probably evolve the air into something only Sony can dream of/mimic. :apple:

11. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

MacBook Air. Anything with Windows on it sucks. Unless you plan to use OSx86 on the Sony...

Sony is a good company and they make the second best tech, the first, of course, is Apple though.

12. jaylay0707 macrumors member

a way you can look at it: better OS vs. having an optical drive and ethernet port.

get the MBA.

13. nick9191 macrumors 68040

14. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Hi,

I was under the impression the new Z Series wasn't shipping til mid August. Is it really the new Z Series your professor/supervisor has?

Vista will reallocate RAM as needed, just like OS X. Sony offers a fresh start option where they remove all the craplets. RAM can also be bumped to 4GB.

I'd wait til Apple spec bump the Air before making valid comparisons. The VAIO is very fresh, whereas the Air is older.

15. muldul macrumors 6502

Sorry but i have to say macbook air hands down. Just because it can run OS X and the sony can't. The sony does look good, but as a mac user, i would not like to go back to using windows when i have a perfectly good mac option.

16. mpw Guest

It's down to the OS for me.

If the Sony could run MacOSX it'd be a non-question, the MBA does nothing for me and seems under-specced next to the Sony from what I've seen.

Although not in a position to change right now, if I had the funds I'd love to get rid of my MB for a Sony TZ or Z, based purely on the hardware issues I've had; the only loss would be OSX, and that, for me, is mostly down to the virus/security issues.

I've no other real problem with MS Windows, and never had a virus or security problem either, but never had to look after those issues myself as always used MS Windows in a corporate environment where that's been taken care of without my needing to know.

17. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

While the upcoming Sony Vaio Z is an impressive notebook, I would still go for the MacBook Air. For me it is more of a decision of which OS I would prefer instead of what specs my next notebook needs to have. So for me, I would go for the MacBook Air due to the fact that it runs Mac OS. :)