Which One of These Macbook Pro Models Makes the Most Sense to Buy... Today

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jdsmoooth, Feb 2, 2011.

  1. jdsmoooth macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2007
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #1
    I need a Macbook Pro for work. Long and short of it I had a MBP up until Christmas. I sell real estate and worked predominantly from home. I almost always took my iPad on the road and my MBP just sat here only being used by my wife and kids to surf the web. We have a 27" 2.8ghz i7 and since my son got a new Windows laptop for Christmas... My ex purchased it... you can see why it didn't work ;)...
    I thought the genius thing to do was sale it.
    Turn the table... I am now a productivity coach... and I have a productivity coach. Both require me to be in the office 3 days a week. And with an 8 month old at home, I need to be out of the house a minimum of 4 hours per day. He's active and noisy...or is that my wife??? :D (Last bad joke)
    If the next refresh is significant I will buy a new one then. I will use the laprop below to photo edit, blog, do create marketing...etc...

    Choices...


    A.Price $1300
    Used 15" i5 2.4ghz stock MBP Some warranty left, the amount of I'm unsure.
    (2 to 3 hour drive)

    B. Asking Price $1,925
    New 17" MBP i5 2.53 Base Configuration
    Full warranty... Some kid sales these in Pittsburgh. Seems to have no complaints from anyone and he's been at it for at least a year.

    C. Asking price $1,550

    Used 17" 2.66ghz Core 2 Duo 8GB RAM 320GB Hard Drive 512MB VRAM
    Apple Care until March 2012.
    (2.5 Hour Drive)

    Your thoughts are appreciated.
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    Option A seems to be the best value. You can buy AppleCare to extend the warranty to 3 years from the original date of purchase. If you don't need it right now, wait. The next refresh may be significant, we don't know.
     
  3. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

    Staindsoul

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Texas
    #3
    Choice A. Cheapest and lightest option. You don't need a suped-up MBP for what you are wanting to do. Plus 17" are a pain to lug around IMO
     
  4. jdsmoooth thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2007
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #4
    Unfortunately... I need it right now. I'm just trying to be economical, because I will more than likely get a new one after release and sell this one if the release is a significant change.
     
  5. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #5
    A is definitely your best option. B isn't bad, but those are harder to sell, and C is plenty overpriced.
     
  6. krimsen macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2005
    #6
    I'd say get a refurb white Macbook, should be able to do the job just fine. Especially if its only an interim solution.
     

Share This Page