Which one should I get (pls read)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hagr182, Oct 9, 2012.

1. hagr182 macrumors regular

Well, I have been a big apple fan ever since my dad got me an 30 GB iPod Video back in 2006, and now I own an iPad 2, an early 2010 macbook pro and still my old trust worthy ipod.

However I have never owned an iPhone, mainly because I just graduated and couldn´t afford it, however out comes the iPhone 5 and I am having a really hard time deciding between getting a 4S or the 5. Here is my scenenario, please help:

In my country (Mexico) the iPhone 5 isnt yet available because LTE is not implemente yet, however it is expected to ship soon, but my carrier is going to charge me either 150 USD for a 32gb 4S or around (based on their stimates) 700 USD for a 16gb 5, BOTH PRICES IF I take a 24 month contract.

I could get a galaxy s3 for 400, but my daily life is heavely based around apple products and services (I.E. I have match, icloud storage, etc)

Without 4G is the iphone 5 worth it over the 4S, specially considering the prices (150 USD FOR 32 GB 4S and 700 USD for 16 gb iPhone 5)?

any advice appreciated!

2. cvconde macrumors newbie

As Apple brags, iPhone 5 is "thinner, lighter, faster". Of course, without LTE only the processor is faster.

Yes, there are small improvements such as better speakers, support for faster WiFi networks, and in my experience better battery life. Also, iPhone 5 is suppose to be more durable because it is not made entirely of glass like 4S (however as you can read on this forum, it does have a tendency to scratch).

So, you need to ask yourself is it worth $550 dollars more for the 5?

3. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

If it's due to finances, what'w wrong with a 4S in the meantime until you get a better paying job? How about buying an unlocked 4S pay month to month on service, then sell it later when you have the means to afford a 5.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

My personal opinion is no. If you will not have access to LTE, and the huge price difference you are looking at, I would get the 4S. You will not notice any real world performances differences...or very minimal.

5. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

LTE is one of the main selling points of the iPhone 5.. if not THE selling point. Take what others have said and just get the 4S in the mean time. It still has most of the features of the iPhone 5

6. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

How far off is LTE deployment in Mexico? Are we talking months, or years?

If sooner rather than later, I'd go with the 5. The LTE speed is definitely worth it.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

IMO...

The things most apparant in the 5 are the screen size, the reduced thickness/weight, the camera, and LTE. The other improvements you won't notice quite as much because the 4S is already a great phone. So you have to decide if those things are worth it.

I would never pay that much of a difference for a subsidized phone, especially one with a paltry 16GB, and given what they are charging would go for the 32GB 4S. For that price difference you could get a good point and shoot camera like the Canon S100 which massivly out performs the iPhone 5's camera. You will also be able to find a bunch of cheaper accessories for the 4S as everyone migrates over to the 5.

9. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

Wow. That's ridiculous. I'm sorry your carrier is that expensive.

The iPhone 5 is a great phone, better than the 4S in every way. It is absolutely worth the extra $100 in the US

However, it is FAR from so much better that its worth an extra $550. Absolutely go with the 4S unless you can get a better price from your carrier

10. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

It's all personal preference. Will a Movado watch and a Rolex both give you the time? YES ... will the Rolex get more attention ... YES. Will a 2 year old car get you from point A to B ... will a brand New sports car do it and be faster ... YES. But like you said you will pay more for new and faster.

I would say though I would rather have the iPhone 4S over the S3 that you mentioned.

11. gentlefury macrumors 68030

No LTE...I would say go with the 4s....without LTE you won't notice enough of a difference for that kind of price hike!

12. heov macrumors member

That iPhone 5 price is bogus. Buy 4s for 150 on contract. Sell 4s for 400 USD.

Buy iPhone 5 without contract online somewhere and make sure it works in Mexico. Ask carrier how much contract free iPhone 5 is.

13. dfinecy macrumors regular

Wow...thank you Carlos Slim :mad:
    I feel you on the ridiculous prices but I would go with the 4s based on your info...solid phone and will still be perfectly functional in years to come.