Which one to get MacBook 13" 2.4Mhz 2GB RAM or MacBook Pro 2.4Mhz 4GB RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JimmyMac123, Jun 20, 2010.

1. JimmyMac123 macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy a MacBook or MacBook Pro but i can't seem to decide to which one would be the best fit for me.

I am a business student and will be using it primarily for research, writing assignments and making excel worksheets.

Is the macbook 2gb ram enough or should i get the macbook pro with 4gb ram? also i'm intending to be using it for at least 3 years.

2. wbham macrumors member

The Macbook will do those tasks fine. I had mostly the same requirements as you, but chose the MacBook Pro anyway, mainly due to the aluminum case. I don't like the white plastic at all, and with the education discount the price difference between the two computers wasn't that great. You also get the backlit keyboard which I have found to be really useful.
    So if you like the macbook, get it, it should meet your requirements for the next three years, but I highly recommend the MacBook pro

3. themadrhino macrumors newbie

Buy the MacBook Pro

Hello,

I just upgraded from a iBook G4 1.33 GHz to the MacBook Prog 2.4 with 4 GB and a 320 GIG hard drive and could not be happier. I was more concerned about the 13 inch screen but got over that when I spoke with someone who has an older MacBook Pro 13 inch and said no problem doing spreadsheets and presentations. My friend bought a cheap $200 good monitor at Best Buy for big jobs.

I also kept going back and forth on configurations and by the time I got the MacBook to the the configuration I wanted it cost the same for less overall capability.

But what finally made my decision was telling the person at the Apple store I intend to hold on to it for 5 years like my iBook that now my older kids wanted and wouldn't let me sell on Craigs List.

So go for the MacBook Pro. The standard configuration is fine but I wanted more space to run parallels/windows for the work specific reasons.

Good Luck

4. willieva macrumors 6502

2 gig is not enough memory. Once you start opening up excel and a browser and itunes and whatever else you'll be using on a regular basis the computer will start to slow down with 2 gig. My imac had 2 gig in it when I got it and would regularly slow down. Once I upgraded to 3 gig it was much better, but I still have to be conscious about not having too many open windows. My new 13" mbp is even better.

5. red0n macrumors member

It's Ghz, not Mhz ;)

I would get the MacBook (not the pro) I have it and i use it for gaming. You should have no problems with your business software. It's plenty powerful.

Good luck! and enjoy your new MacBook!

6. nemE macrumors newbie

nemE

I unno. I've used Photoshop with 1GB of RAM. 2 is a godsend.

My desktop has 4GB though, and I'm happy with that. The base MacBook can use up to 4GB, and if you're on a budget, get that and 2x 2GB DDR3 So-DIMMs from your local computer shop.

Refer to the manual here on how to upgrade the memory.

EDIT: Newegg prices a single 2GB Stick (Kingston) at $52. You can get cheaper but I recommend either Kingston or Corsair for RAM.

SECOND EDIT: That being said, it would raise the price to just above $1100. For an extra $99 you could get the aluminium case. Yay for aggressive pricing.

THIRD EDIT LOL: Get the base MacBook if you're on a budget. Screw the memory upgrades for now, and wait for RAM prices to plummet after a year. Currently running 2GB in my MacBook and loving it.

7. jolawson macrumors member

I am a business student as well, and went with the base 13" MBP. The 4 gigs of RAM is plenty enough for what you mentioned. Also, just a thought, if you have a camera with an SD memory card, the MBP has an SD card slot in which you can just pop it in, and DL your photos. The Macbook does not. Its a feature that I love, due to its simplicity. As others have said though, the Macbook will do what you want, and you could add the RAM later. Its only upgradeable to 4 gigs of RAM...someone please correct me if I am wrong...but the MBP is upgradeable to 8 gigs.

8. Mikeadelic macrumors newbie

Get the MBP, if you're near a Micro Center. They're selling them in-store for $999 plus tax, which is the same price as a white MB. I got mine and I love it. Even without the discount, I'd still lean towards the MBP. The aluminum body feels ridiculously sturdy, and the 4GB ram is great for a business student.

9. budugu macrumors 6502

I think i will echo the sentiment here. paying the extra 150$ might be worth it as it has a much more professional look. And that is all you are paying for (mind you). Alu also ages better than white plastic. Damn it apple bring the black macbook back!!

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Right now I'm using my cousins Macbook Pro (13) with 2.66ghz, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD - and I can't believe I don't have a Mac yet (specifically a Macbook Pro)

I love the backlight keyboard.

11. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I did the same, but only have 2 GB of RAM on mine. As RAM goes, I have 57,000 page ins and only 577 page outs.

If you can afford it, look into the 4 GB of RAM, or get some after market RAM from a good RAM seller. If not, then you can always get some later when the price drops on DDR3 RAM.

12. sondress macrumors newbie

sondress

I would say go for the 13" macbook pro. It's more futureproof, and the alu-unibody make it a little tougher. The macbook's plastic-unibody easly get cracks. And i think you can fit more ram into the mbp.

13. EasyJW macrumors member

i say go for the MBP for the extra future it will have, 2gb ram laptops are beginning to be a bit underpowered, and for the little price increase between the MB and MBP, you'd see a massive power increase, that being said, you could get a macbook and install ram yourself [​IMG]

14. appleusapromac macrumors newbie

The Macbook will do those tasks fine but I think you should go for the MacBook Pro - aluminium case and more ram .