Which Optical Caddy to go for??? Also What hard drive to put in the Optical Caddy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karant-rex, Jul 24, 2011.

1. karant-rex macrumors newbie

Okay so i am gonna get an Optical Bay caddy for my MBP and have no idea which one to go for, currently I am thinking of getting the OWC data doubler, but my other option is getting a cheaper generic caddy from eBay, so I wanted to ask if the eBay caddies have issues with function(ie the Hard drives inserted in them not working properly) or fitting. Also how is the OWC Data Doubler, does it fit well??
    My other question is when i get the caddy what hard drive should i put into it?? The SSD or the HDD?? I am probably gonna get a SATA 2 SSD so speed wont be a problem, what are tho pros and cons of having the SSD in the Optibay and the HDD in the HD Bay. Are there any issues with having the SSD in the optibay. I want to place the SSD in the HD Bay and the HDD in the Optibay cause i know if anything goes wrong with the computer i will have to take out the optibay and put the SuperDrive back in, but if i install the SSD in the optibay and something goes wrong then i will have to put the SSD back into the HD bay and take the HD out, wont it be easier to just have the Hard Drive in the Optibay, are there any cons to that??

2. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

I bought the cheapest one (in the US) off of eBay from a reputable seller for $13.99. Went in fine, put a 750GB 7200RPM Seagate HDD in there and all was fine. OWC's is a bit overpriced, just get the one from eBay.

Put the SSD in the main bay, the HDD in the OptiBay. You already have your main drive in the main drive slot, why change the order?

3. karant-rex thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, are there any reported problems about the generic eBay OptiBays? I was told they dont fit as well??

4. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

newmodeus.com

http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_37&products_id=410

I bought two caddies from these guys and they have both been perfect. First one was SATA HDD to PATA Optical connector and the second is SATA HDD to SATA Optical. I'm still using the SATA/SATA caddy and the other one is fine, I need to sell it or something...

I put my non-Boot disk in the optical bay. I probably doesn't matter one bit since everything is SATA now but I just like knowing the OS drive is where the Apple geeks expected it to be.

5. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

I bought the cheapest 1 on ebay. Works great. Not worth shelling out around 100 for a part that does the same thing.

6. jbjones85 macrumors member

Got a cheap one on Amazon (like $12) and it fits decent. It only has 2 mounting points but it is still nice and snug. been installed for about a week with no issues.

7. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

8. karant-rex thread starter macrumors newbie

I am trying to stay away from the generic caddys as they have sleep issues, is that true??
    Also the maxupgrades drive seems really cheap, esp if i consider the 170$ for Samsung 1TB + optical caddy + external optical drive enclosure. How is it in terms of quality?? Does anyone have one of those?

9. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

I haven't had any issues with my $15 optibay in the 2 months since i installed in