Which parts of retina MBP are upgradable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sanchopanza, Nov 11, 2013.

1. sanchopanza macrumors newbie

I know that RAM is not upgrable for later, but what about Graphics Card, SSD and Processor?

Also, if any of them are upgradable, will there be any drawbacks or downsides of upgrading it due to crazy Apple limitations?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple states that none of the parts in the retina MacBook Pro are user-upgradable. Doing so will void your warranty/AppleCare.

3. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

No, maybe and no.

The GPU and CPU are soldered onto the logic board. To replace them, you would have to replace the entire logic board, and there's no way of knowing if future rMBP logic boards will still fit.

The SSD is easily removable, but the Haswell MBA and rMBP models now use a PCIe SSD with a new interface and form factor. It's currently very hard to get a replacement SSD. OWC has stated they are researching if they can make replacements. As systems are broken and parted out, SSDs should become available on eBay, etc. But for right now, you can't really find replacement SSDs.

4. sanchopanza thread starter macrumors newbie

Can we be sure that it will be possible to upgrade SSD in future?

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Nope. As of right now, there are no third-party options available. And you will ultimately save money in the long run by purchasing the size you want right now.

Even when/if a company like OWC offers them, who knows what sizes/speeds will be made available and at what price.

6. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Can we be 100% sure? Not yet.

However, it's highly likely. Until the actual replacement SSDs are available for purchase, we can't be sure. I'm not aware of anyone having tested any replacements yet.

It's possible that the new systems are using an NGFF M.2 form factor PCIe SSD, in which case, they may be easier to find than we think. This ebay listing might work, for example.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Add to that since Apple does list the machine as non-user upgradeable they're within their rights to void the warranty on the machine if you went the 3rd party route.

8. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

At some point we will find out if the new Retina's PCIe requirements are the same as the new Mac Pro's in regards to throughput and interface. If they are, then I bet that would make it more likely that OWC will have upgrades in a year or so. As far as I know, a 1TB PCIe SSD is the max you can put in either platform, so that makes me cautiously optimistic.

With TB2 having a max theoretical of 2,000MB/s, it is anyone's guess where PCIe internal drives will end up at and if the current bus speeds can handle TB2 1:1, Mac Pro or MacBook Pro. I know my 1TB PCIe is hilariously fast, pulling hundreds of GB's of data out of a bus powered USB3 SSD drive at an average of 520MB/s and peaking at 550MB/s. Not that it exists but a TB2 RAID 0 setup with 4x 840 Pro's would be a treat to see in action on these machines, stoopid Faaast!

9. fs454 macrumors 65816

Honestly, yes. You can 100% be sure of that - if not by 3rd party then you'll be able to get your hands on OEM Apple parts (like the 1TB stick you can BTO in new machines) and swap your drive out.

Everything else, no. Even the battery is going to be rough but I fully plan on replacing it when needed.

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I'm not sure why there is more discussion happening. This is the answer, as far as what you're "allowed" to upgrade. The SSD is the only thing you could possibly upgrade, and it would be super pricey.

11. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

It's why I hate the retina models.

I'm scared to guess how much it would cost - or how long I'd have to wait - to get 2TB of storage (like I do now in a non-retina machine).

12. priitv8 macrumors 68020

You can't compare SSD to HDD prices, right?
    Or are you implying that a bare SSD will cost much more than one in std 2.5" enclosure?

13. leman macrumors 604

I doubt that 2TB SSDs for current rMBP will ever happen. By the time such high-dencity SSDs are available, the connector will change again.

And please note, for the 2TB storage - which is of course a great thing (if you need it) - you are trading speed and weight. Of course, you can do the optibay mod and install two 1TB SSDs, but in doing this you forfeit your warranty. MacBooks are not really targeted at users who need large amount of internal storage.

14. Candlelight macrumors 6502a

Candlelight

I have 2x 1TB HDDs installed. I need storage over speed. SSDs would be nice but can't justify the cost.

15. jlluna macrumors 6502

I spoke to a owc rep a few weeks ago. He told me the ssd is not upgradeable at this time, but they might be in the future.

16. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Much like you can't compare SSD to HDD, you can't compare the massive amount of storage you could have in a cMBP to the little amount of storage you can get for a rMBP.

17. priitv8, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

priitv8 macrumors 68020

You can't have it all, can you? If massive storage is your requirement, then SSD is the wrong technology, yet. But I think SSD cost per MB will decline faster than it took for HDD technology to reach today's levels. Let's see, in 30 years we've come to a point where $1500 buys you 2TB of SSD, not just 5MB of disk storage (let's not talk about the devaluation of dollar in that timespan):

18. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Of course SSD will be more cost effective sooner. That is not a question.

What is a question is would people prefer a thicker MBP that they could service themselves? My answer is a resounding yes. If you need or like lots of storage in a portable device, then apple has effectively forced you to move off of OS X - which is sad, IMHO.

19. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

So you have chosen a storage optimized portable, the trade off being speed and drive durability. For example, my computer has half the storage space but 10x the speed and at least that in terms of durability of the storage.

Don't get me wrong, I was all about buying the latest cMBP and putting two SSD's in like I had in my 2009. Then I started looking at things like battery life, slimmer form factor, desktop crushing drive speeds and killer little bus powered externals like OWC's Envoy EX line and it became crystal clear that in terms of overall get the work done factor, the new 13" with its super fast 1TB PCIe drive left the other plan in the dust.

I can justify the price tag because I use it for work.

----------

Yeah...I used to think that too, until I got my new 13" with the 1TB. It is plenty of storage and mind blowing fast. Apple did the upgrade for me when I bought it. When I get to the point that it is not enough storage then I bet there will either be a bigger 3rd party PCIe option or I will upgrade the whole laptop and either of which is several years out...

20. PDFierro macrumors 68040

This is exactly why I am going with a 1TB SSD on the 13". I can afford it, and it makes sense to max it out at the time of purchase. It's also extremely speedy.