Which PC company is the closest to Apple, in your opinion?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by c073186, Feb 26, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

I would think either Falcon Northwest or Voodoo just because they seem of higher quality and put more emphasis on the design of their products. Of course, no PC maker is anything like Apple because all they do is buy parts and put them together. But you know, for the sake of discussion, what do you think?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

fwiw, apple just buys parts and puts them together too. they just use their own software.

3. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well yeah but don't they also have a say in the design of the case and stuff?

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

apple designs the cases. same with sony, and hp. and dell. etc.

5. MLeepson macrumors 6502

When it comes to Industrial Design and innovation, theres Apple and everyone else. You can't compare a Dell with big rubber pads on the sides and about half a dozen different colors and shapes on the case with a MacBook or a MacBook Pro.

6. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

I actually really like the ThinkPad design.. some people may think it's retro, but I think it looks at least as nice as a MacBook (and less boring). I personally don't like the looks of the new Apple Laptop keyboards...

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I gotta say, HP is getting a lot better as far as designs go.

8. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

i disagree. i think hp's designs have to much of a plastic, this is a crappy product look.

9. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

10. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

I would say HP from a year and a half ago. now they are going all plastic and adding graphics on the over shiny case... its still looks ok though.

sony to me is trying to be like apple. their cases are getting really simple and they even have a white vaio .

11. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You think the MacBook design is boring compared to the ThinkPad line? Interesting.

I don't know about the MacBook keyboards, but the MBP keyboard is a huge plus for me, everything else feels spongy in comparison.

12. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Well, I think the blue enter key peps up the whole design. The black plastic is just classic. I liked the white design when Apple introduced it, but I think it's time for a change (and not just changing the color.. strangely enough, as much as I like the black Thinkpads, I'm not a huge fan of the black MacBook. Probably, because it's all black).

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I just never really liked the ThinkPad line, mostly because I hated the 'eraser' mouse thing and the square corners. It was a design that seemed slightly hostile on some machines.

The 'butterfly' keyboard they had once was a cool idea.

14. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

15. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Apple does more than just design the cases. You really think the MacBook air is just standard components in a custom case? The motherboard is obviously an Apple design and the processor was specially provided by Intel. Of course they don't make any of their own components (at least not that I know of), but the designs themselves are done in house.

16. protozoa macrumors regular

The only time I ever had to ship a computer to a tech service center was with an Acer. I sent the darn thing three different times. In fact, they ended up refunding my money on the thing. I wouldn't buy one of their products, no matter what it looked like.

17. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

I'd have to say Voodoo. They concern themselves alot about form factor.

18. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I'd say sony has had pretty original ideas.

IBM has the best build quality.