Which Quicksilver to buy?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by carlsson, Jul 25, 2001.

  1. carlsson macrumors 6502


    Jul 18, 2001
    The faster 867 with L3 cache or the much cheaper, but really not that slow, 733?
    I'm well under way to lay my order but must know if the 867 is worth the extra $'s??? (The superdrive doesn't feel important, it's the speed I want)

    Input appreciated.... :)
  2. blakespot Administrator


    Jun 4, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Well, if the superdrive's not important to you, remove it from the machine on the Apple Store on-line. You can shave $400 of the price dropping from SuperDrive to CD-RW.

  3. DJ Hoyt macrumors member

    Jul 19, 2001
    Austin, TX US
    Twin 1GB MHz

    Why not wait for the twin 1GB MHz comming next line, and then I bet the G5s will come out. I don't know. You can always wait for something better. But as you wait you don't have a great computer. I bought my 350MHz G4 PCI (2nd Gen.)when I could've bought a 400MHz G4 PCI (1st Gen.) for the same price. The guy at the Mac store said that the 2nd gen would have the new motherboard. HA! Stupid lier. Screwed me into waiting for a slower machiene. And then a few weeks later. The 400 MHz AGPs came out. It might not be best to wait =) Or it might be best to wait. And who doesn't want a superdrive?!?! They're so mofo. And remember, it usually isn't worth a lot of extra money to get a few more MHz. Although it is worth a lot of extra money to get an extra processor. So I'd go with the dual 733MHz.
  4. thinmann macrumors newbie

    Jul 10, 2001
  5. carlsson thread starter macrumors 6502


    Jul 18, 2001

    re: Dual 733. I think Hoyt meant the d800 right? If so, that is too much money.

    re: Superdrive. Yep, I know I can dismount it when ordering from Apple. So, lets say they both had cd-rw. Is the 867 worth the extra money?

    re: Waiting. Yes, there's always the possibility to wait. But then I could wait... and wait.... and wait... and wait... there's always a better machine around the corner. I'll buy it now, and in one year I probably regret it.... :p

    Thanks for the answers, but I need more input! :)

  6. Luckster macrumors member

    Jul 25, 2001
    Deciding which one to buy is really dependent upon why you want the machine. Make no mistake, you may wait as long a you want to buy one, but there will always be something better. Right now, you can have the fastest machines available. If Apple follows a more or less historical pattern, then we may see a slight upgrade in late November or early December, but in the computer world, that a ways away. The next major change (ie. revamped motherboard, extensive use of DDR, Double Data Rate, or QDR, Quad Data Rate (it exists) would be Macworld SF 2002 at the earliest). Therefore, your Quicksilver will likely be cutting edge for the next six months. But, while after that it may no longer be cutting edge, it will have a long useful life. I havbe a 7600/120 which I still use for video and photoshop work. I do have access to a Ti G4, so I can tell you that new machines are nice, but how fast do you need to go? As for the Superdrive, I want one. While you may not see the use for one, one DVD can hold the equivalent of 8 CDs (74 min), which is a lot of space. This will come in handy since you probably will be working with large files if you need the latest processor. Additionally, Motorola is notoriously bad about supply of their fastest processors, so I would not expect a gigahertz processor for a while, let alone a dual or quad processor machine. If you want, check out Apple's page called the Megahertz Myth for benchmarks if it will help your decision.
    - Andrew

Share This Page