Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
I've been reading countless posts to see which one offers a better protection from drops.
I actually own both the reflex and the commuter but cannot decide on which protects my 4s more.

The commuter has two layers but both seem quite thin.
The reflex only has one layer but a really sturdy casing.

Anyone?

Edit. particularly on drops.

Last edited:

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Well the Reflex will mark up your metal band and has a serious issue with pretty much any screen protector so I would avoid that one.

Both have probably the same amount of drop protection meaning that if a drop is going to crack or destroy your phone while in one of the cases then it will probably do that while in the other. It really is luck of the draw when you drop your phone anyway.

Commuter is fine. I used it for a few months when I first got my iPhone 4 almost 2 years ago. It took a decent amount of abuse and held up well.

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
Well the Reflex will mark up your metal band and has a serious issue with pretty much any screen protector so I would avoid that one.

Both have probably the same amount of drop protection meaning that if a drop is going to crack or destroy your phone while in one of the cases then it will probably do that while in the other. It really is luck of the draw when you drop your phone anyway.

Commuter is fine. I used it for a few months when I first got my iPhone 4 almost 2 years ago. It took a decent amount of abuse and held up well.

Mark up the metal band how?

Coldsnow

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
The reflex is a very tight fit by itself, when added screen protectors you often have a hard time sliding it into the case and that ends up making contact with a piece of dust or lint that will scratch the band / back of phone.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012

I guess that means I am sticking with my commuter and will be putting the reflex on reserve. I have the white translucent reflex which really showcased the inside of my iphone making it look better and less bulkier.

The reflex is a very tight fit by itself, when added screen protectors you often have a hard time sliding it into the case and that ends up making contact with a piece of dust or lint that will scratch the band / back of phone.

Yep but I've read somewhere that the 4S version no longer does this since otterbox modified the reflex for the 4s to avoid the band scratching. I've slipped both the commuter and reflex a couple of times with no problem. Although the screen protector needs to be thin for it to conveniently slide in, so you're right the reflex isnt for people using the fancy thick screen protectors. Currently have the commuter on since it is the one suggested by most people when compared against the reflex.

kyellowness

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
Not sure about the reflex but I've been reading some really good things about the Commuter. Thinking of buying one myself.

tkwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Not sure about the reflex but I've been reading some really good things about the Commuter. Thinking of buying one myself.

I have the commuter ON right now. It is amazing, I wouldn't think twice of recommending it. Although the reflex seems quite nice too lol

i hear from my friend that otterbox defender case is very defensive. maybe you can have a try on this.

you can look through this webstie rjlin168.diytrade.com.

I don't really like the defender. I'm just choosing betwen the reflex and the commuter (both of which I already own). I just need confirmation and additional opinion on which one really protects my phone better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.