Which resolution 15" Macbook Pro screen did you go with? Are you happy with it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rceee, Apr 20, 2011.

?

Which 2010/2011 MBP screen did you buy?

Poll closed Sep 27, 2011.
  1. 1440x900 and I'm happy with it

23 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. 1440x900 and I wish I'd gotten the high-res screen

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. 1680x1050 and I'm happy with it

51 vote(s)
    63.8%
  4. 1680x1050 and I wish I'd gotten the normal-res screen

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. rceee, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011

rceee macrumors member

I've currently got a 2009, C2D Macbook Pro 15", with what I believe was at that time the "high resolution" screen (1440x900).

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a pretty well-loaded new 15" MBP, but I have been seriously on the fence about whether to go 1440 or 1680 ("high res"). I've scoured the web reading opinions, and there are lots of good points both ways. I can't help but feel like the tradeoff (a little bit more real estate) isn't really sensible (considering screen elements are already on the small side at 1440). Seems like 1440 plus an external screen might make more sense to avoid eye strain. Yet, when spending SO much cash on laptop, with everything else maxed out, it also feels *wrong* to not get the "more" option in terms of the screen.

So, I'm wondering... Is there anyone who moved to a 2010/2011 Macbook Pro with a 1440x900 screen who is firmly convinced they made the right move? Or better yet, anyone with the 1680x1050 screen who has buyer's remorse?

And if possible, please limit this to a resolution discussion; glossy vs. antiglare is another topic.

2. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I'm happy with mine... I just use Spaces and now I have acres of real estate.

3. maxsquared macrumors regular

By the look at where Lion is going, Mac OS X looks more and more likely follow the iOS route, which is resolution independant, meaning: if you have a higher resolution screen the text will appear sharp but the size remind the same, so I suggest you get as high res screen as you can.

4. rceee thread starter macrumors member

I know Apple has had resolution independence on the backburner for quite a long time... Have you heard anything specific about Lion finally having this implemented?

Yes, though, going the iOS route for use of resolution would be excellent. Too bad the laptops are nowhere near that yet.

5. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

i'm torn too, on the one hand i think 1440x900 is just right in terms of readability and screen space, but on the other hand if lion does decide to go resolution independent i'll wish i had the high res screen.

i've tried it out in an apple store and it was definitely not for me because of the eyestrain... but to have all that space *was* nice. i could see myself taking advantage of it.

6. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

7. jijitrash macrumors newbie

go for the high res one.

the normal model actually has an even lower pixel density than the standard 13 macbook and macbook pro. The 13" macbook air has the same pixel density as the 15" high res. I like this higher density much better. Once you have used a mac with the higher density=higher resolution, you will find the other displays on the 13" and especially the 15" standard look like childrens toys.

check the pixel density yourself here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density#Apple_Inc.

for my work the hhigh res is a must, I have several windows and graphs showing data open, and would go mad without the bigger and high res screen.

8. rceee thread starter macrumors member

Yeah... I ended up ordering a fully maxed out 2.3ghz one, with high res screen. Mainly due to the point about future-proofness with Lion and resolution independence. If it weren't for that, I really might have just stayed with 1440... Sure it's not a super high resolution screen for serious professionals who need tons of screen real estate to look at graphs all day, but even for a semi-pro who uses Aperture/Photoshop and does some software development, 1440 is a pretty comfortable resolution, imo... Kind of a nice compromise. 1680 will do, though.

On an unrelated note, Apple should be giving away Lion vouchers with Macbooks purchased at this time, eh?

9. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I went with the normal res screen and I'm fine with it. My computer is used all day long for work, but I'm not a "creative professional". I was worried that if I got a high-res screen I'd be squinting to see text that was too small for my eyes. That, and my budget was pretty well maxed out already.

10. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I got the hi res and am very pleased with it.

I think it gives a very desktop-like experience without the extra size of the 17".
    The text is a little small, but can can be compensated for in most instances and my imperfect eyes have adjusted to it already.

I was also playing some Black Ops yesterday in my Win7 Bootcamp and the res looked quite nice.

11. tcador macrumors regular

I own both, an older model with standard resolution and hi-res 2011 model. I always felt the standard resolution made things too big. The hi-res, although can be a little on the small side at times, is a big improvement over the standard resolution. Switching between the two reminds just how much better having a higher resolution is...

12. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

In all honesty, if price was not a factor, I most likely would have gotten the high-res. People on this forum say things like "You've already spent $1800, what's a hundred more (actually ~$200 for me, since I ordered from macmall)?" Well, my budget was pretty much completely maxed out already, so that extra money would've been more than I can afford. They say to get the best computer you can afford, and that's what I did. I did not buy a computer that I couldn't afford, and I'm happy with that decision.

So, while it would be hard for someone argue that high-res isn't better than standard, I am focusing on the things I love about my new computer and I don't worry about the things that could be better. Because this is the very best I could afford and it is a very good computer.

13. JayDH macrumors 6502

I actually returned my 13" MBA because the higher resolution display made the text too small for me. I read all day long, so it is important that text is comfortable to read. It was a pain constantly increasing the size of things.

I opted for a standard resolution 15" and I love it. Despite others saying that it looks like a children's toy (an absurd statement), it is a great display for my needs.

14. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I feel pretty much the exact same way. I read on it all day, and the standard res suits my needs.

15. Akack macrumors 6502a

+1 bought the hi res anti glare and regular glossy and decided to keep the regular glossy. Font was too tiny on the hi res and gave me headaches and eye strain. I know this is subjective but I preferred the black bezel over the silver as well.

16. TXBDan macrumors regular

I like my hires AG a lot. the screen is beautiful. I do often do a CMD+ to zoom text up a notch while web browsing though. I prefer this as titlebars, menus, dock, finder windows, icons, etc all stay small, but i get the text size i want. Safari zooms very nicely.

When using apps like Logic, Ableton, Lightroom, and games like Starcraft, the extra real estate is much appreciated.

17. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I have the high res anti glare screen as well. I wish they would just get rid of the silver bezel though. I don't know why they need to do differentiate the bezel based on anti glare or glossy. I think the black bezel would look much better on both but it was still worth the upgrade.

18. a random John macrumors member

I had a 15 all spec'd out and configured with a high res, anti glare screen. Then I looked at the cost of the 17 with the anti glare and decided that I could no longer justify the 15. I've never had a 17 before and I'm very happy with it. My old 15 looks terrible next to it, which is where it sits.

19. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I bought the antiglare screen and I am happy. I watched a few movies and the movies look good. However, the glossy screen maybe a better bet for watching movies. I compared my old Windows box with a glossy screen to the MBP, so that is the basis of my comparison.

I was outside this week surfing the internet and checking mail etc.. and the antiglare screen truly shined, not literally though. :D

20. rceee thread starter macrumors member

Resolution only please :) Antiglare vs. Glossy is another thread.

21. thegilly macrumors member

I was very happy with my previous Penryn 15" MBP's resolution. I would have preferred to stay with that resolution when ordering my new unibody 15", but if you want matte there isn't a choice, so... I live with it. I seem to do a great deal of enlarging things that wouldn't have needed enlarging on my old machine.

22. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Standard res on a 15. Otherwise I would be squinting. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

23. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Hi-res 100% 1440x900 is still low for a 15" It looks perfect on the Airs though. 1680x1050 is terrifc, can't imagine my MBP without.

Let's just say I didn't need the 2.3 but I paid the premium just so I could get the hi-res AG in the store.