Which Retina 15 inch (leaving in a couple of hours)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JDotAppleFan, Sep 3, 2014.

1. JDotAppleFan macrumors newbie

Well all... looks like I'm still having issues with my early 2011 15 inch MBP w/ dedicated video card. It randomly reboots- even in safe mode. (I made a couple threads about it and Apple was nice enough to spend an hour on the phone w/ me even though I purchased it over 3 years ago) I need a new computer for work ASAP. So I'm traveling to the nearest Best Buy to pick up one of the new 15 inch MBPs. I've decided that I want the extra screen real estate.

I think I can live with the lower capacity, 256 gb SSD until a replacement comes out. Not a huge deal I guess. Although I insist on using a mac for work, I'm not a video/photographer, etc. Just a boring corporate job really.

I do play the occasional game on it- usually something geeky like League of Legends or something like that. I don't think I'll miss the dedicated video card enough to spend another $500- do you??

Thoughts and recommendations are appreciated. I had hoped on holding off on a new laptop for at least 2 more years so I haven't really been researching them.

Thanks in advance,

Josh

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Base model 15 would be more than enough for you!

3. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

4. cebseb macrumors regular

Base 15 inch. You can always upgrade ram or ssd down the road if needed.

5. JDotAppleFan thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay- I was leaning towards the base one. I think it even comes with 16 gb RAM now which should be plenty. I agree about the SSD (for my purposes should be fine). That's why the deduced video card was my only concern. But I think I'll be fine without it.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Neither is upgradeable down the road.

RAM is soldered.

And no one makes the PCIe blade SSDs for Macs yet.

7. cebseb macrumors regular

My fault, that's right about the ram. 4gb is still more than enough though. As far as the pcie blades go, its only a matter of time before we get a third party option.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

To be on the safe side, I'd go with 8GB.

8GB would be fine for a pretty long time if the user doesn't do much video editing or running VMs.

Myself, I do 4K editing and run VMs all the time, so 16GB is a minimum for me.