Which rMBP 13 case? Protective,snug,not an Air case designed for the larger footprint

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by littvay, Mar 3, 2013.

1. littvay macrumors member

Hard Candy Cases lost my endorsement today. Bubble Sleeve Macbook Air 13" case zipper died and I am just out of the 1 year warranty. I am certain it is not even fixable. So I am looking for a snug, light and very protective case for the 13" macbook pro retina.

I am familiar with Thule's offering (not ideal as it is either for Air which has a larger footprint or Pro which is thicker). I am also familiar with what Booq offers (also an Air/Pro Retina design) but what I am really looking for is something that is respectful of the smaller footprint of the Pro Retina. Unless I find something really snug it won't go into my bags that were designed for a 13" Air/Pro. (Especially the Tom Bihn where I had to carry the laptop in the bigger compartment despite it having laptop pocket in case you don't care to protect your laptop with a decent case... I do.)

(BTW: the Hard Candy was also for an Air but at least I used it with an Air until the rMBP 13" came out. I did like how it protected the corners almost perfectly.)

I am fairly happy with the quality of both Booq and Thune offerings and they appear to be protective enough (though input is always appreciated). Would not want to go less though. But I can't believe that nobody makes a case, not to mention a good case, that is tailored to the Retina Pro 13" and not some universal for Air and Pro.

Happy to spend up to $100 on this (or even a bit more if it is perfect). North of $150 I think I'll just go with the Booq or Thule. Any ideas for me?

2. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

To be honest I don't think there is a good solution right now. I think it will improve as Apple shifts all 13" MBP's to this form factor or sales of the current model take off. I've looked all over and I haven't found anything that satisfies my needs either.

3. Fissure macrumors 6502

The Incase Neoprene Sleeve for the 13" Macbook Air fits perfect on the 13" rMBP.

4. dehory macrumors regular

5. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

6. Fissure macrumors 6502

7. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Wow, it's hard finding anyone local who stocks this item. :-(

I'm almost thinking of just going the route of the new Speck SmartShell if I can't find one of these Incase cases locally.

8. Fissure macrumors 6502

Best Buy has them.

9. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

10. Fissure macrumors 6502

sorry I don't, my local store had alot of them
    worse case you can order from Amazon, think they were
    something like $22 there, almost half what Best Buy wants

11. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Amazon.com doesn't have them anymore, they're all third party, no name sellers like Maria Rodqiguez, who says it's brand new but has no packaging... those r always shady and I don't deal with them.

12. zipur macrumors 6502

this meets and exceed your requirements. Works perfect for me and the added pouch for the power supply is perfection.
    [​IMG]

LINK

13. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I don't remember how I've found it, but I've ordered a Cool Bananas Shockproof case for the 15" cMBP last year, and it's a great sleeve. It's some kind of memory foam that protects the MBP pretty good, and it fits really snugly, like a glove.
    [​IMG]

They come in green, blue, red and black inner linings and zipper with a black exterior, or with a brown, black or white leather exterior and black linings.

The only catch is that it's only available from Germany, but both the sellers on Amazon as well as Cool Bananas themselves have a reasonable pricing for shipping to the US, and it's < $200, so it's duty-free as far as the customs are concerned.

14. sullemandi macrumors newbie

here is how the 13" retina macbook fits into the "Booq Mamba slim 13"-sleeve.
    as you see it has got quite a lot of space, so im not really happy...

Attached Files:

15. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM