Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
I used to have a flip case on my 6 so never needed one but have gone for a Mous Limitless case on my XR so definitely need a screen protector. The one that came with the Mous case was awful and had multiple bubbles even after careful application and an attempt to scrape out the bubbles with the card that came with it.

Best one that you know of? Are there any that don't negatively impact the touch response because the Mous one was awful?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
No screen protector unless you're in the habit of carrying your iPhone on your pocket along with your keys. Fingers won't scratch the glass, nor will wiping it down with a t-shirt. My iPhone is 4 years old- no screen protector ever used and the screen still looks great.

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Spigen. Their new tray allows the easiest installation of any screen protector I have ever used. I picked up the two pack on Amazon for $7.99 iirc. Opened the new phone, immediately used the Spigen tray and a few minutes later it was installed, no dust, lint, prints, nada.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
^^^
+1

When I had my XR I used the Spigen GLAStR EZ FIT tempered glass (2 pack). Came with installation trays for perfect alignment. They cover the entire front including the faceID area, just a cutout for the earphone, and the protectors were awesome and faceID worked perfectly. For some reason I cannot find them on Spigen's own website but I got mine from Amazon. First one I was unable to get rid of the air bubbles along the sides of the XR but the second one worked.

Tried to get the same set for my XS but they didn't come with trays, instead they had flaps for "easy alignment". It was brutal to get those aligned on the XS, the trays make a huge difference.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
^^^
+1

When I had my XR I used the Spigen GLAStR EZ FIT tempered glass (2 pack). Came with installation trays for perfect alignment. They cover the entire front including the faceID area, just a cutout for the earphone, and the protectors were awesome and faceID worked perfectly. For some reason I cannot find them on Spigen's own website but I got mine from Amazon. First one I was unable to get rid of the air bubbles along the sides of the XR but the second one worked.

Tried to get the same set for my XS but they didn't come with trays, instead they had flaps for "easy alignment". It was brutal to get those aligned on the XS, the trays make a huge difference.

Similar to this?
Spigen, iPhone XR Screen Protector (6.1"), Full Coverage, Premium 9H Tempered Glass, Case Friendly, Face ID Compatible, Ultra Clear, 6.1 inch, iPhone XR Screen Protector Glass (2018) (064GL24987) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H2BLC24/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Ltr9Bb7KMK93X

Does the touchscreen seem the same as without a protector? This is one of my concerns as I want the phone to operate exactly as it should without a protector!

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Belkin. Had it applied by the special screen protector installer at my local Apple store. Expensive, but saved my screen and phone when it fell out of my pocket face down on a rocky hiking path. Served me right, as I had just boasted that I had never broken a phone ...

Reactions: Mac2019

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Belkin. Had it applied by the special screen protector installer at my local Apple store. Expensive, but saved my screen and phone when it fell out of my pocket face down on a rocky hiking path. Served me right, as I had just boasted that I had never broken a phone ...
How much did it cost all in? Did you buy it and just take it to the Apple store for installation?

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
If you’re in the UK can absolutely recommend media devil. Currently have one on my XR.

Comes with installation frame. When I applied it I had two bubbles which had vanished 12 hours later now it’s perfect.

myfoneisdank

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
definitely dont get the cheap insignia. i dropped my xr out of the car, maybe like 2 feet and the SP cracked and got all jacked up. real screen was fine though but still, i'd like to see my SP hold up a little bit better

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Similar to this?
Spigen, iPhone XR Screen Protector (6.1"), Full Coverage, Premium 9H Tempered Glass, Case Friendly, Face ID Compatible, Ultra Clear, 6.1 inch, iPhone XR Screen Protector Glass (2018) (064GL24987) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H2BLC24/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Ltr9Bb7KMK93X

Does the touchscreen seem the same as without a protector? This is one of my concerns as I want the phone to operate exactly as it should without a protector!

Try to find the one for the XR that comes with the installation tray from Spigen.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Similar to this?

Different pack but the screen protector itself looks identical. Mine came with installation trays which I think are infinitely better than having to align them yourself, even with those useless wings/tabs. Touch sensitively, clarity, swipe smoothness are all exactly the same as the screen itself, in other words Great!

For some reason mine are still missing from Spigen's site and now also unavailable from Amazon (Canada) so I'm not sure what's going on.
Here's a pic of the package front:
5djotPeLTM6lIlwz3lbXvw.jpg

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
How much did it cost all in? Did you buy it and just take it to the Apple store for installation?

Went into the Apple store, they pulled it from the wall and installed it. Expensive - $40. But a fully configured XS Max with AppleCare, tax, cables, case is $2K so relatively a small investment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.